Recovery from mistake - how to shim one side of bush OD ?

I would be happy with JB Weld. If you're not comfortable with that, you could fill the void with plumbing solder, lead, babbitt or any other low temp metal.

Joe Pi just put out a video that addresses this very situation.

To me, a casting of unknown makeup, welding is last ditch. A relieved undersized ID bushing, turned OD about .060 under per side bedded in JB weld is not only 90% goof proof, but remediating that possible 10% won't worsen the situation. Drill into bushing shallow pockets on 3 or 4 sides to 'pin it' into place; a bit of die-grinding small depressions into 2 thicker sides of casting, and let it cure. It won't go anywhere.

The maximum dimension of the gap is close to .1 inch at the top and about .84 at the bottom. (I measured it using numbered drills.) #10 wire is about .1 inch. I will get some #10 sollid copper wire and taper ti and 'tap' it in. I will use #14 closer to the edges. I will then inject JB Weld into the gaps. I believe the copper is stronger than straight JB Weld. However the JB Weld should act as a great bonding agent to hold the copper wire in place.

@dansawyer

After filling the void, do you still plan to install Oilite type bearings to carry the shaft?

Like said above, I would just fill it with JB Weld or similar. You could pound a plug in if you like first, but I doubt it would matter.

I would go with the JB Weld or similar metal filled epoxy approach.

I would be happy with JB Weld. If you're not comfortable with that, you could fill the void with plumbing solder, lead, babbitt or any other low temp metal.

@dansawyer

After filling the void, do you still plan to install Oilite type bearings to carry the shaft?
No. The original 'bearing' was the casting surface. I have machined a low carbon steel busing. The lathe feed rod should have sufficient oil. The feed rod to bushing is a loose fit and very low rpm.

YES THIS IS BEST SOLUTION
Is the advice to make a 'dam' and simply fill the gap from the top? That would be bog simple compared to trying to machine a slug.
My first attempt at forming a copper slug was a dismal failure. The slug was flat and it pressed on the bushing hard enough to distort / display the bushing to bind the test feed shaft - very discouraging.

Back