Recommendation for a diamond hone?

I have diamond laps that I use for sharping my engraving tools . I made an adaptor to mount them to WS3000 . I usually rough with a grinder then finish with a diamond. Unless it's carbide then I have 100 grit lap to rough it down. I'm only about 5 miles away give me a call or drop in.

To add on to what I.RonMann said, Green polishing compound is great for putting a final edge on cutting tools (though, haven't tried it on HSS lathe tools). I don't use it under power (though I have tried in the past. What I did was made a strop by gluing a piece of soft leather to a small piece of hardwood, then rub liberally with green polishing compound. Take a few strokes on one side of the blade, then flip it over. Do that till the edge becomes shiny. Only takes 30-40 seconds. I have started doing this for my girlfriend (she is an amateur wood-worker), and it gets chisels and things scary, I'm afraid to even pick this thing up because I might cut my own arm off and not notice it for 20 minutes, sharp.

Back on topic, for lathe tools, I have a small india stone (think it is 4x1"). Few drops of oil and a couple strikes, and the HSS cutters I have are good. I have also heard arkansas stones are great for this, but I haven't broken down a gotten one yet...

For honing lathe tools, I suggest the credit card sized hones from DMT or EZLap. They are much cheaper and easy to hand hold. EZLap sells a set of three in coarse, med, and fine and that is about all you'll need for lathe tools. They work for HSS, cobalt and carbide. I would avoid the plastic, file-type tools - they flex too much in use. Diamond bench stones also work great but cost more and are a bit more cumbersome to use.

If you want a polished edge then hone with the fine diamond and then go to a fine India stone, then polish with a translucent arkansas stone. It will cut like a razor.

Back