Recommendation for a diamond hone?

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I'm trying to get set for grinding my own cutting tools and I need to get a hone to finish them or re-finish them. What are you guys using and/or what would you suggest?

-Ron

Are you looking for a wheel to mount on a powered device or a hand hone? CDCO Machinery has diamond wheels for powered machines about as cheap as I have been able to find. For the hand hone I use a knife sharpening diamond hone purchased from Wal-Mart.

Best Regards,

NXr

The one I have came from a sporting goods store, for sharpening fishhooks.
Better than those plastic-backed cheese-grater things, but not as good as the machinist-grade hones

November X-ray link=topic=2714.msg18437#msg18437 date=1310173948 said:
Are you looking for a wheel to mount on a powered device or a hand hone? CDCO Machinery has diamond wheels for powered machines about as cheap as I have been able to find. For the hand hone I use a knife sharpening diamond hone purchased from Wal-Mart.

Best Regards,

NXr

I wasn't even aware of wheel "hones" but I just ordered a new 8" Metabo bench grinder and will be researching grinding wheels next. I'll check out what CDCO has to offer but I've seen some less than glowing reports of their business practices. What I had in mind was what is maybe refered to as a "bench hone" which I assume to be a hone stone mounted to a board. I have an OLD one from my grandfather that I use to sharpen my pocket knives but it's material is unknown. I figured some kind of "diamond" hone would be better for HSS and cobalt.

Looking at most of the responses so far, there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to what is the best kind of hone to use. Those posted by David look very nice but I'm still a little unsure of what exactly is needed - fine, coarse, ultra-fine, etc. Maybe some of you guys can post exactly how you finish or sharpen your cutters and that would help guide a person in what to look for in a hone stone?

Thanks.

Confused as always ;)

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess the diamond grinding wheels are out then? I really like the looks of those, expensive as all get out but "never need to true up" was a great selling point.

-Ron

Diamond grinding wheels should really only be used on carbide.

Frank, that looks great, both elegant and functional.

Thanks for the insights on "diamond" guys, all information that I was blissfully ;) unaware of.

-Ron

It's a German three-blade (I think it's often called a "whittler" style) by Weidmannsheil. It's 3-1/4" long closed, and the knife I carry everywhere everyday, except in airports.
I got it from eBay on recommendation from a pal who said it was one of the best kept secrets in the knife business - great workmanship and value, but company out of business.

Years ago I learned to buy knives from collector/dealers. So-called "users" often sell at reduced prices in the atmosphere of collectible stuff, even if they are in new condition.

I use a 1in belt on a sanding mach, 220 grit, followed by a chrome oxide buff on the buffer. I wind up with edges that shave hair. Chisels, and planes are just as sharp. So sharp they will cut a fart.:roflmao:

Back