Recommend me a tap wrench

You can get them for a good price on Ebay usually. much cheaper than MSC.

edit: just be aware there are 2 types, ratchet and non-ratchet. I have the non-ratchet..

Some like ratcheting. I don't need it.

I have the smaller Starrett T-Handle Tap Wrench, 93A as well as the General ratchet tap wrenches in the next two sizes, the General's are older NOS that were made in USA (from eBay). The newer General ones are made in India and are poorer made according to others. All work very well and I have no issues holding taps, they all work well. No issues with the smaller Starrett, and I find it works very well for small taps. I rarely use the ratchet on the General's but I find that they work very nicely, I also have tap extensions. I made my own hand tapping holders for my mill and lathe.
Tap Wrenches.jpg

I have a number of tap wrenches, some good, some OK, some not so good. None are what is referred to as "name brand". Where I wanted to join the conversation is with small taps. Some Most folks consider a 4-40 tap to be tiny. It isn't, by a long shot. In my work, a 4-40 is large.

I have "normal" sized taps and dies. 3/16 up to 3/4 inch, 18mm(?). That get used once or twice over a several year span. To me, a 2-56 is "normal", my sizes go down from there. I go down to 000-120.(3/0) There are smaller sizes, 4/0-160 and other "optical" sizes, but I don't use them. A 3/0 is 0.034 outer diameter. 0.035 clearance drill. . . And work sometimes in the metric versions. It all depends on when and where the original was made. If it's metric to start with, I try to stay metric.

It is well known that a 6-32 tap is very easy to break. Depth of thread vs solid body. Almost a spiral, 6-40 is a much better choice when it will fit. The whole point here is that for small taps, 4/40 and down, I use pin vises as tap wrenches. 5-40, 6-32, and 8-32 have a screwdriver handle. Klien makes an electrician's tool where the smallest, 6-32, is replacable. 5-40 is a drop in when needed. The larger sizes, 8-32 and 10-32 are ground on the shaft. The 6-32 is replacable because it so often breaks. Smaller than that, working a pin vise with my fingertips gives me a better "feel" for the tap. I can feel the teeth digging in and if it hits a hard spot, I know it right away. Or if things are really bad, the chuck will slip. A small tap wrench gives too much leverage, even a "T" handle, I can't feel what is going on.

I realize I am speaking about taps smaller than "run of the mill". But it is very often that people will try to work a 4-40 or 6-32 tap like it was a 1/4-20 or larger. And, of course, break it off. That is my point to expounding so much on the subject.

so when you say you regularly use 6-32 and smaller, are you building models?
I used to use 4-40 6-32 for models back in the day.

Nr 6, 8, and 10-32 are very common in electrical fittings and boxes. "Standard" light switches and recepticals, in the U S, both use 6-32 widely. Metal boxes have 6-32 for devices and 8-32 for covers and fan hangers. Nr 4 is/was common in electronics enclosures, usually salvage military communications equipment. 10-32 mostly shows up on circuit breaker panel covers. When I was working "overseas" in the Pacific Rim, I have run across a 3.5mm screw, which is identical in size to a Nr 6. Only the thread pitch was different. . .

Nr 2-56 is about the largest size for my models. I do run across a Nr 3 on occasion. And often build contraptions in 12 inch to the foot scale where it fits well. Most of the electronics has tapered off now that I am retired from the steel mill. I still run across smaller metric fasteners, 2mm and smaller, working on fiber optics equipment, particularly on the splicer and test equipment. I do have some older models where I am refitting the running gear that used Nr 3s. I refit them with 4-40s so the parts come together properly. 2-56 is the most common that I run into with the models. It seems many manufacturers settled on 2-56 for a number of fittings back in the '60s and stuck with them over time as a common part. I do run into metric sizes when the models come from metrified countries.

Back