Recommend me a tap wrench

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a pile of small tap wrenches which all work equally terribly... especially at the smaller sizes. These are the type with a two way split through a threaded conical nose. So I came across this tap wrench at work, which I think I would like to try. This one has two jaws connected by a thin strip of steel, held inside a threaded nose. The tap holding portion is built like a carpenters brace. There wasn't a name brand on them. There was a part number, but I forgot to get a picture. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I use these. Have had for years made by a German company can’t remember right now. Work great 4D5B4743-EBF4-4D28-BFB0-E6694F505B4F.png

What brand are you using for the ones you do not like??
Good question. Garage sale brand I guess. No Starretts, I am sure of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have to respectfully disagree about the (new) Starretts. I bought a 93-A and a 93-B a couple of years ago and
neither one would hold a tap even remotely straight. I sent one back to Starrett, which returned a tool that
was better, but still very poor. I like to tap in the lathe with a spring loaded pin, but with the alignment out on
these things I can't start it straight. I'd buy an older tool off eBay before I bought another new Starrett.

I have to respectfully disagree about the (new) Starretts. I bought a 93-A and a 93-B a couple of years ago and
neither one would hold a tap even remotely straight. I sent one back to Starrett, which returned a tool that
was better, but still very poor. I like to tap in the lathe with a spring loaded pin, but with the alignment out on
these things I can't start it straight. I'd buy an older tool off eBay before I bought another new Starrett.
Good to know. What brand of older tool are you buying?

Yeah nothing like a Starrett tap wrench. I have the 174 and the 91 A, B, and C wrenches. They feel so good in the hands and don't loosen up like cheap wrenches do.

I would be willing to buy an older Starrett. Greenfield Tap and Die is another quality brand. I have an older GTD that's about the size of a 93-C
as well a couple of die stocks and they're great tools.

Last edited:
I have a pile of small tap wrenches which all work equally terribly... especially at the smaller sizes. These are the type with a two way split through a threaded conical nose. So I came across this tap wrench at work, which I think I would like to try. This one has two jaws connected by a thin strip of steel, held inside a threaded nose. The tap holding portion is built like a carpenters brace. There wasn't a name brand on them. There was a part number, but I forgot to get a picture. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
I have what you are talking about. Similar to Wachuko's . Mine are General, much less money, but great quality. They have the 2 hardened jaws held by the steel strip. I would buy them over and over, they are great. I have 2 sizes, small, and medium. I don't like the ones with 4 jaws, they never hold well by comparison.
edit:
This one looks more like my small one
General #0 to 1/4
Mine do look like this for both:
General 1/4 to 1/2

Last edited:
I have what you are talking about.
Great! I'm glad to read that. I'll place the order tonight! These seem to me, a much better arrangement. Thanks for humoring my confirmation bias. Lol

Back