Recommend me a tap wrench

I struggled with cheap tap wrenches then decided to spring for some Starretts. I bought the A and B size (I think) and couldn't be happier with the. Smooth action on the knurled part to tighten and the hold the taps dead straight.

Last edited:
Most folks consider a 4-40 tap to be tiny. It isn't, by a long shot. In my work,a 4-40 is large.
I thought about that when I started this thread. I figured the majority who read it would, like me, assume the 0-1/4" scale as small. But for clarity, I should have been specific. Thanks for pointing that out. I had not considered using a pin vise as a tap driver. So thanks for that as well.
I have ordered the 0-1/4" General. I like Starrett, but they aren't offering what I am looking for.

I have a General t-handle for up to 1/4" taps and it is really good. Even better are the Walton piloted spindle tappers that allow you to tap straight using a chuck to hold the tap handle rigidly. Unfortunately, they are no longer made. For hand tapping, I also think the Starrett 91 series is the best. I have the A, B and C handles and they are all superb; they lock tight and don't let go until you want them to.

For tiny taps, 0-80 to 6-32, I use the OMW sensitive hand tapper that works as a hand tapper as well as a piloted spindle tapper. Like the Walton tappers, the OMW is no longer made but you can still see the instruction sheet on the LMS site. This is the best tap holder I've ever seen for tiny taps and I have yet to break a tap while using it.

I own a " few " assorted tap wrenches from various manufacturers . Never really thought about some being better than the other , but my favorite is the wrench I can find first . :grin:

I started with some cheap ones and got PO'ed. I cried once and bought the Starretts. So good.....

I have 4 now!

Back