Recommend Dial Indicator & Test Indicator

nessimibrahim

Registered
Registered
Just as the title states could you please recommend Dial indicator & test indicator? willing to spend $100-200 if its worth it.

interapid for test indicator, ebay at about 120 or so. worth it. brown and sharpe bestest is a close second choice 50 to 80 on ebay. I have a fowler girodtast that i think is "wicked awesome" has great feel and touch.
For dial indicators i really like my mitutoyo. but i use a federal and a brown and sharp too (all are .001)
so to paraphrase, most if not all swiss test indicators are good.
most Chinese dial indicators are meh.

I would suggest a nice mag stand and some snugs at a minimum. youre tdi should come with a few dovetail posts to fit onto the dti and into a snug. if you have money to burn, noga makes a great mag stand. but you can find some good knock off brands on ebay that are worth the cash.
here is a video of a brit replying to abom79 (he has a prety good youtube channel too)

I prize my Mitutoyo test indicator (with the nose that can be rotated any degree) but usually use a Federal Testmaster, they aren't as sensitive as the Mitu.

Last edited:
For a test indicator I would get an Interapid and nothing else and especially not the Starrett Last Word. Don’t get me wrong, I like Starrett stuff, but not there Last Word test indicators. I do not use a dial indicator much. If you are short on $, I would just buy a good TI and hold off on a DI…Good Luck, Dave.

The "Last Word: was the last word when it was new, but the concept has been improved on for 50 years, and now it's the first word, no longer the Latest.

I like starret dial indicators, but for a test indicator I usually go to my best test (brown & sharp) I have an Interapid and I love it. I too dislike the last word. I have one that's almost 30 years old and think I used it once. Long Island Indicator has a great review on indicators if you go to their website.

Amazon Haas a mitutoyo yellow face indicator with a mag base and arms for around 33$. I bought the same set 6 months ago. It works well for me.

Back