Rebuilding South Bend but need help

from the pics that leadscrew looks like its toasted, milling a new slot only gets you in deeper crap, if it was me, I'd get the right dimensions for lead screw keep an eye on Facebook marketplace, eBay, craigslist, there's plenty of dead south bend lathes out there. Or just get the word out here on hobby machinist or practical machinist, post the sizes and I'll keep my eyes and ears open.
Danzo

I am not seeing as much of a problem, perhaps due to the camera angle and my eyesight. I don't think the width of that slot is critical, as I understand it just drives the clutch and feed thru the rack and pinion, any slop would just result in a little backlash when starting a cut? The threads on the leadscrew are used when threading a part via the 1/2 nuts. They don't look so bad to me in the photo.

As far as repair goes, I suggest cutting one or both ends, turn down to a smaller diameter and bore a hole in the replacement, light press fit with high strength locktite. A cross pin is probably unnecessary. I think this will be cleaner and quicker than welding/brazing. I have repaired shafts and threads by welding and turning it back down and rethreading, doable but time consuming.

I am not seeing as much of a problem, perhaps due to the camera angle and my eyesight. I don't think the width of that slot is critical, as I understand it just drives the clutch and feed thru the rack and pinion, any slop would just result in a little backlash when starting a cut? The threads on the leadscrew are used when threading a part via the 1/2 nuts. They don't look so bad to me in the photo.

As far as repair goes, I suggest cutting one or both ends, turn down to a smaller diameter and bore a hole in the replacement, light press fit with high strength locktite. A cross pin is probably unnecessary. I think this will be cleaner and quicker than welding/brazing. I have repaired shafts and threads by welding and turning it back down and rethreading, doable but time consuming.
I kind of agree with what you're saying, I've never seen inside of a south bend apron, my only question is if the leadscrew is driving the clutch and feed assembly would your pitch change if you were threading as the leadscrew was picking up the .080" play in the slot or is the leadscrew while threading independent from whatever else is going on in the apron or threading quick change gearbox. if it is .080 and while the leadscrew turns and simultaneously takes up the play of the keyway is all that non-eventful because the half nut has the final say...obviously I've had too much coffee this morning

On my south bend, I think that .08" slop in the key way will get taken up as soon as the clutch is engaged for normal straight turning with powered feed. The slop and will have no effect thereafter unless you are in some weird situation where the bit is getting sucked into the part. In that case, slop in the slot is probably the least of your worries. I am rebuilding a SB 10L and will be making a new key that fits in that slot. Mcmaster has key stock that is slightly oversize and it is near a perfect fit into the unworn part of my leadscrew.

When threading, the keyway and clutch is removed from the drive path completely. I guess if the lead screw was worn enough it is possible the thread pitch could change by a microscopic amount as you transitioned from the unworn to worn part of the lead screw. No idea how that could even be measured accurately enough to see it. All backlash in the half nuts would be removed when they are first engaged.

Other lathes may work differently, my experience is limited to a SB 10L.

This shows the place in question, .175 slot to .276. The outside of the threads go from 1.107 to 1.124 with some threads pretty sloppy in new half nuts. I can mill a new slot in the opposite side but worry about the threads. The threaded part is about 79 inches long and have not seen anything that long on Ebay. Thanks for any thoughts
Something doesn't add up here. You said it's a 9" lathe, but the longest bed on a 9" South Bend was 54". The diameter and length suggest a much bigger lathe. I think sorting out the exact model you have first would help because someone might have the correct part for you, or know who might have one, but that only works if we're sure what you're looking for.

This shows the place in question, .175 slot to .276. The outside of the threads go from 1.107 to 1.124 with some threads pretty sloppy in new half nuts. I can mill a new slot in the opposite side but worry about the threads. The threaded part is about 79 inches long and have not seen anything that long on Ebay. Thanks for any thoughts

From what I can see in the picutres, I'd say you should run it.

That is definitely a tangible amount of wear, but I would NOT worry about the keyway dimension. If the power feed (clutch) feeds smoothly from start to finish, it'll do fine. Technically, on paper, you could calculate the difference in the feed per rev when you're power feeding, but in practice the "angle" of the worn side of the slot- A little trig on that angle is going adjust the power feed rate by one or two orders of magnitude less than what the lathe is working to. Look at ALL the optioins for the power feed rate, and ask yourself how much more accurate your work would be if the lathe were doing that to two more decimal points of precision than what's listed.... If it's smooth in it's operation, you're good.

As for the threads themselves, the outer diameter is not relevant. They don't engage on that, they engage on the flanks, the angled sides of the groove. By the apperance of the threads in your two pictures (which isn't ideal for that, and I couldn't measure from here if they were ideal for that...), but by the appearance, I'd bet it still makes threads that are still well within recognized tolerances. Maybe not as tight a tolerance as NASA might use to bolt a door plug on a space station :) but at least equal to hardware grade stuff you could buy off the shelf, and probably better. Further, even if they are worn enough to be "way out"... It will be a change over some distance. That is, it doesn't go from "like new" to "worn out" in an instant. Worn out threads will still keep their pitch. The only time you loose tolerance is when moving from a worn to an unworn section, which is a gradual thing. so within any reasonable threading distance, you'll only see a small small portion of that error, thus a completely out off spec lead screw can and will still cut perfectly in spec threads of typical lengths. And if you want to make your own threaded rod..... You're doing it wrong. Tool wear, electricity, and materials are gonna cost you more than just buying threaded rod. It's a commodity that long ago got mechanized and specialized. An inch or two of threads will have very little error.

Neither of these methods of feeding (the keyed clutch for power feeding, and the half nuts for threading) will ever change direction in use. Nor do they havve micrometer dials in place. Nor do you use them for precise measuring. They're not graduated, and if they were, they're not suitable for precise starts and stops...

Personally, given the (relative) simplicity of getting that lead screw removed at a later date, I would use the machine, make what I wanted to make, and never look back. Get the idea out of your head that the lead screw is worn at all, so you don't jump to conclusions that all errors are related to that, and address it if, and only if there is an actual problem that can be reasonably associated with that wear. My bet is that even though at some rediculously minute level, there is technically "some" error in a thrad... It's probably got more decimal points than you will ever care about.

Back