Rebuilding a Van Norman #12 in UK

that scraping looks swank!
that's on heck of a rebuild. Can't be too many VN's running amock across the pond. to be honest there aren't many running amock here:rofl:.

I'm sure there are a few, but I haven't heard of any. This machine has the VN control box, but all the other electrics are British. Also the main cutter motor a 11/2hp Electro Dynamic, but the two other motors are British. Not sure why that is. Maybe it was shipped like that?

image.jpg image.jpg

hmmm that's interesting. maybe they shipped without electrical parts to save on weight and since things might be different on that side of the pond. then installed them once it was uncrated. I would love to know the history of that expat.

My machinist has phoned to say that the table is bent!!!! It rocks on the saddle and he can't take a straight measurement. It seems that I have big problems. He was originally going to grind and then 'Turcite' it back to original size. However, he can't determine which end to use to straighten the table. Ultimately, there's no problem straightening the table, but the problem lies with re-aligning the table feed screw in the saddle. He thinks it could need grinding as much as .043" in places.
He has suggested that I may need to have the table feed screw casting ground off and machine a new one. Also there may be an option of boring out the centre of the table feed screw casting. I would then need to make an insert to the original internal diameter, but off set in the bore by the amount taken off the table to realign it.
I'm off to see him today to get a better understanding of the problem.

off .043 sounds like a lot, I am surprised a table can get that out or whack, thats alot of metal to take out to get to flat.

Wow good job on the rebuild looks great
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

It's been a long time since the last post. I've been busy reconditioning a Jones & Shipman 1212E cylindrical grinder. I'm a sucker for a piece of machinery. I'm in the early stages of building an 1926 Indian Scout, so the machines with come in very handy. Due to the bend in the table it was decided to mill off the leadscrew casting. A new bearing housing was machined and trial fitted. A few thou at a time was taken off the depth until it could tightened up and the lead screw could be wound in and out fully without any stiffness. I think the early VN12 tables had a separate bearing housing.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Your machine is coming along nicely. I look forward to seeing it when it's done.

I'm currently working on a Van Norman No2. I'm trying to dismantle the spindle head. While it's a bit different from your spindle head, I was wondering if you have any pointers on how you rebuilt yours. Or perhaps you might have some pictures.

Back