Rebuilding a Van Norman #12 in UK

Pauldarby1

Active User
Registered
I've wanted of a while a larger milling machine to replace my Tom Senior. The Tom Senior is both a vertical and horizontal machine, but much smaller and not so easy to change over. The VN had been standing in a shed for 5 years following a bereavement. I hadn't even heard of these machines, but following some research I have been able to establish that it was built in 1947. It appears to be all there, with the exception of the right side table handwheel feed screw casting and the base side casting plate. The guy had replaced all 3 motors with 230V single phase. Fortunately he had kept the original motors. I have a 415V supply in my home workshop and intend to use the original motors. All the original electrics are there. Below the main electric box is a metal electric box containing a transformer. The output wires from this run in a metal conduit together with the main 3 phase wires to the other side of the base. Hear is located the master switch and a round 3 pin socket, fitted with a threaded screw cap. I assume this was for powering an inspection lamp.
I have almost completed the move to its new home. I only have the column and base to separate. The machine is then going to have all it's slideways and gibs reground and scraped. It's a coincidence, but both this machine and the 1926 Indian motorcycle I am building we're built in the same town/city.

image.jpg

The base before.

- - - Updated - - -

Cleaned and painted in Raglan Lathe blue.

image.jpg image.jpg

I like that color!

Been getting some use out of my VN12 this weekend....drilling 3/8' holes through 3/4" 316 SS. Needless to say, it is a slowwwwww process. Having to use the knee for my z "feed". I really wish I had a 1-RQ for the quill and power downfeed.

The ram head is almost finished. Just needs the lever tops plating in chrome. All the gears have been out and everything is in good condition. I was going to have the ram head reground, but you can see all the original scraping marks, so on Cal's advice I've decided not to. I was able to save the gaskets, which I intend to re-use. The column, knee, saddle and table have gone off to be re-ground. Chrominance is quiet expensive, so I'll get everything chromed together.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

that's a nice bit of kit!
see' i speak british:jester:
looks great:thumbsup:

Great job on the rebuild! I'm sure end result will be well worth the effort!

David

Simply awesome. A very unique color choice as well....not typical for VN, but I like it! You are really doing a true rebuild on this thing....can't wait for more!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well it's been a while since I've had the opportunity to work on the machine. I've got the column back from the machinist. He's ground and scrapped the ways for the knee. I've also had all the chrome done. I'll post a photo of that soon. On my machine the knee operated hand wheel has been converted to a handle. While I wait for the knee, saddle and table I'll mount the electrics. Oh, I also had the 3 motors attended to. The large cutter motor needed a re-wind and new bearings. The other two were overhauled, lacquered and new bearings fitted.

image.jpg

Back