(re) Inventing the (hand) Wheel

Following on from my successful handwheel casting, I decided to replace the plastic crank handles.
Unsure of what shape I wanted i turned up 5 different styles and cast them up today. After I have them all cleaned up I will make a decision on which feels and looks the best and make a few more to finish off.
IMG_6412_zpsd694109f.jpg IMG_6423_zpsf95d06c8.jpg

cheers Phil

IMG_6412_zpsd694109f.jpg IMG_6423_zpsf95d06c8.jpg

Cool hand wheels and handles...BUT the real attention getter is all the casting you are doing! I was recently lamenting about all the wasted metal turning solid stock down to small parts...and all the scrap aluminum automobile wheels laying around...then your post reminded me of high school metal shop days when we collected old pistons, broken motorcycle cases (we were racing back then and had lots of that stuff) and misc. aluminum. We melted it all down and sand cast school plaques and project for class credit...

I don't have access to a furnace these days, but wondering what you are using for your melting/casting process? Any pictures or descriptions of those you might share would be very interesting. Also still wondering if automobile (aluminum alloy of some kind) are worth melting down to cast with? Kudos to you...making useful objects from scrap or recycled materials in my book is way more interesting than paying $$$ for new stock and turning most of it into scrap...

Phil,

Very nice work!! I personally have old machines and like the old look and feel. Spring can't come soon
enough here so I can fire up the crucible furnace and get my hands into some green sand...

Back