1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

Discussion in 'TOOL JUNKIES - TOOLS & TOOLING (Love Tools? This Is Your Forum)' started by Nels, Dec 2, 2011.

1. kingmt01

kingmt01 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Huntington
    State:
    West Virginia

-Return to Top-

Yelp. I looked yours up after seeing $300. Mine is the same one they still sale for $80. Looks like a sawsaw motor on it. If bought it to fill a block wall that I still haven't gotten to. Lol

2. GA Gyro

GA Gyro H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Atlanta
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

Perhaps a little off topic...

In my young days (in the dark ages... :grin: ), was employed as an auto and truck mechanic.

We used the pickle fork looking thing (Snap-On) to remove ball joints and tie rod ends. We called it a 'tuning fork'.
    Technique was to back off the nut from the threads... so the nut was a few turns covering the end of the threads, then soak the joint with WD-40, then carefully place the 'tuning fork' in the joint. Give it (the fork) a couple of taps... then give the nut on the joint threaded shaft a couple of taps (note TAPS, not whacks). Repeat the taps on the tuning fork, then the nut, until it comes loose.
    A bit less 'exuberance' and a bit more 'finesse', usually loosened the joint without damaging the other parts, the tools, or the workers knuckles (or ego).

Hope this helps... :)

4gsr likes this.
  3. scsmith42

scsmith42 Active Member Active Member

City:
    New Hill
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

I used a similar technique with the exception of using a brass hammer on the threads. One other thing is if you whack hard enough on the side of the forging outside of the tapered hole that the tie rod stud goes through it will usually spring the hole enough so that the stud pops out.

Scott

JimDawson likes this.
  4. MikeWi

MikeWi United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Somers
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

I'll admit that I can't see any deformation, so it may have been built like this in the first place and it took me this long to notice, but I'll post a pic later. Way out of line. There's no flexing going on here, and the bushing removal required a total gap of less than 4" inside the press, so no long distance involved. It's just messed up is all. We used that rap trick all the time at the garage I worked in, and yes it works like a charm and makes peoples jaw drop when they see it for the first time. Doesn't help much here though.. These track bar bushings are notorious for being hard to remove. The rubber comes out of the liner before the liner releases.

5. MikeWi

MikeWi United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Somers
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

Works like a charm on that kind of joint (although I prefer rapping the outside of the joint), but a ball joint holding the hub assembly to the steering knuckle is contained in a can that's pressed into the knuckle. No pickle fork will work on that, so you use this large C-clamp style contraption to push them out.

6. scsmith42

scsmith42 Active Member Active Member

City:
    New Hill
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

<grin> indeed! It came out quite nice - here are the "before" and "After" pix. Note - the "before" pix was of the box.

Finished cart 1.jpg

Welding cart pre rework.jpg

hman and JimDawson like this.
  7. royesses

royesses United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Norman
    State:
    Oklahoma

-Return to Top-

Been replacing ball joints for 50 years. Leave the nut on the top of the threads as mentioned. Then use a 2 lb hammer to back up one side of the knuckle and give the other side of the knuckle a good rap with a 1 lb ball pien. The joint will drop out of the taper. Works on tie rod ends too. Just a slight deformation of the taper unlocks the grip. This method does not harm the rubber boot if reusing it. There is no damage to the knuckle either. The pickle fork ruins the boot. I've used the C press also but first do the above to loosen the taper. I've never bent or damaged the C press this way.

scsmith42 likes this.
  8. royesses

City:
    Norman
    State:
    Oklahoma

-Return to Top-

Universal Bench Grinder Stand item #3184 - Pass. I use these for anything that needs to be raised up to working height. Cheap and useful. Weld on a 1" x 1" angle iron frame and mount a wood top on it for drill presses or belt sanders etc.
    69350-97f31daef542d713136270f50c18449a.jpg 69351-2ae7e4af7147c07caeef604e082457f7.jpg
    69352-fdaf61742435a18e18bc17a1bfcdfc27.jpg

Dsc_0340small.jpg Dsc_0341small.jpg Dsc_0342small.jpg

Attached Files:

9. kingmt01

City:
    Huntington
    State:
    West Virginia

-Return to Top-

royesses
    Try some lizard litter from the pet store in that tumbler. It works much better. It won't get stuck in your flash holes.
    I forgot to mention it is cheaper also.

10. royesses

City:
    Norman
    State:
    Oklahoma

-Return to Top-

Thanx for the tip. I've heard that before but forgot. Next time we need dog supplies I'll get some and give it a try.

11. Bill Rosselot

Bill Rosselot Active Member Active Member

City:
    Columbus
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I too have the orange one and I have had it for about 12 years. Had to take it apart once and grease it. But still works even took it to work for about 2 years and used it as a cut off saw on rebar. That is a good one.

12. autonoz

autonoz United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    casa grande
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Purchased the 6 ton jack stands today because my others are under my sand buggy. Had to do the brakes on my F350. Well the job is done and I did not get crushed. Pass
    They are pretty well built. The box says ANSI approved, but there is no sticker on the stand that refers to it.

13. markknx

markknx Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Portage
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

Ansi may be the name of the Chinese inspector. lol.

3dshooter80, catskinner and autonoz like this.
  14. kingmt01

City:
    Huntington
    State:
    West Virginia

-Return to Top-

That's funny. I've heard it a few times but so far it hasn't gotten old.

markknx likes this.
  15. N8TheGreat

N8TheGreat United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Westland
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

After reading through this thread a bit, it motivated me to sit down and think about what I have bought from Harbor Freight and would give the Pass to

· Torque wrenches (1/2” & 3/8”)

· 2 ton low profile Heavy Duty Floor jack

· 4.5” angle grinder

· 7” variable speed polisher/sander

· 44in. 13 Drawer Glossy Red Industrial Roller Cabinet

· ½” in Professional Air Impact Wrench

· 20 Bin Medium Portable Parts storage case

· 10 in sliding Compound Miter Saw

· 1500 Watt Heat Gun

· ½” breaker bar

· ¼” Air angle die grinder

· Automatic Battery Float Charger
    off the top of my head this is what I have/have used and never had 1 problem or complaint with. As you can see I have a addiction to Harbor freight :) the only thing I wouldn’t buy from there would be their wrenches or sockets I would spend the little extra for a little better set :)
    Evertime you go make sure you take your coupons/20% off coupons and your coupons for free items. Their free volt meter works great, 25ft tapemeasure is awesome and even their cheap LED flashlights provide plenty of light and yea and did I mention they are all free with the coupon :)

16. Bill Rosselot

City:
    Columbus
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I own several HF tools mostly woodworking so they don't get used much. But I do have a lot of hand tools screwdrivers, wrenches, and such mostly because they are cheap and they keep the kids away from the Snap-On and Craftsman boxes. But one thing I do buy at HF and probably nowhere else is grinding disks, cut off disks they have the best price and they do last a long time. But I do notice now they have a professional grade of tools now not sure if it is any better or worse price didint change much. I just bought a 1/2" drill and it is basically the same as my old Black and Decker that burned up. I also have a 12" Sliding Miter saw that I bought about 2 years ago. I had a 12" Yellow One with the Big D. and it was $400 used and the HF saw is better cuts better angles not as loud easier to adjust. But I would say that if you are the average home owner you cant go wrong. You have to do what you have to do when you are trying to make it out there, not everyone can buy Dewalt, or Milwaukee.

catskinner, rdean and autonoz like this.
  17. kd4gij

kd4gij United States Active User Active Member

City:
    St. Petersburg
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

They have a line of socket and ratchet sets that are made in Taiwan that are nice. and they are lifetime warranty
    . upload_2015-11-24_21-37-10.png

18. N8TheGreat

N8TheGreat United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Westland
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Ill have to check those out.
    I bought some cheap combination wrenches from there to grind and bend up for some specific uses, they work great for that :)

19. Anthony G

Anthony G Active Member Active Member

City:
    Toledo
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I bought a couple of those hand, squeeze-type clamps from HF. You know, those black, plastic ones with the orange pads on the clamping fingers. Can't remember the size exactly, but about the medium size ones. Anyway, I went to use them a couple days ago and immediately, after placing one of them on the two pieces I wanted to clamp together, the end of one of the fingers broke off and went flying across the garage. It wasn't just the orange pad that came off, it was the black plastic finger that snapped. I do not believe I was overworking the clamp. I used the other one and it did its job. Perhaps they can be inspected carefully before purchasing to look for defects.

20. kingmt01

City:
    Huntington
    State:
    West Virginia

-Return to Top-

I've never used those but there is serviceable items along with junk not worth bringing home.

I bought the dust collector after reading the mixed reviews. I ended up with mixed feelings on it. For the price is give it a fail. It doesn't have much suction. A fan in the window would pull as much dust.

21. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

About the most useful ''tool'' I get from HF are the flyers I get about twice a week. They make great fire starters for my wood stove. :grin: Works 100% of the time.

Mark in Indiana and TommyD like this.
  22. RJSakowski

RJSakowski H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Barneveld
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

If you're talking about their bar clamps, I bought about a half dozen in 18" and 24" sizes when I was working on my kitchen cabinetry. They were cheap and I needed a bunch of extra clamps at the time. I believe that all but one have broken. There is just not enough meat in the plastic to deal with the forces applied. To be fair, I expect a lot from a clamp and probably over-stressed them. My Wolfcraft clamps have held up through the thick of things without breaking. I also have four of the old fashion screw typ bar clamps from HF and have not had a problem with them.

Bob

23. housedad

housedad United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Mount Royal
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Just got the 1000lb lift cart. Wow. it really is nice, strong, sturdy and worked great after following bleeding procedures. A back saver and a half.

24. NCjeeper

NCjeeper United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Charlotte
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

I like their 4 drawer tool carts. Perfect to store tooling in. I have one by my lathe and one by my mill.

25. roadie33

roadie33 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Ozawkie
    State:
    Kansas

-Return to Top-

I have 4 of the Black 4 drawer Tool chests.
    Just the right size for storing Drills, End mills, Reamers and all of my Cobalt and HSS bits.
    I also get the black trays to put in the drawers to keep it all separated.
    One by the Lathe. One by the Mill. One with wrenches and misc hand tools for roll around that I use for whatever I am putting together in the basement shop.
    The other is in the garage full of hand tools.

I always seem to talk myself into getting another one when they come on sale for $99.

26. housedad

housedad United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Mount Royal
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  27. NCjeeper

NCjeeper United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Charlotte
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

I know right.

28. Bill Rosselot

City:
    Columbus
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Just yesterday I went and bought a T55 Star driver 1/2inch drive. Got the whole set and also a set of left hand drill bits. Well used the crap out of them and no breakage yet. Put the T55 socket on my 1" impact and let her eat still in good shape. Had to take the box off my sons pickup so we could change a fuel pump. I got out of HF for 17 dollars not a bad buy.

29. joebiplane

joebiplane United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Malaga
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

I had about the same thing happen with the clamps I bought
    But You get what you pay for. Usually , at HF. Cheap tools built cheap for occasional use by hobbiests

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catskinner likes this.
  30. catskinner

catskinner United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    OTIS ORCHARDS
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

You got it right not made for professionals, so many don't get that. Some of the tools like impact sockets are pretty tough, just have to look them over first.

bri_man57 likes this.