Rate of taper on bridgeport gibs?

OOPS!
That's 0.013"/inch.
I'm concerned that may not match your machine as the china stuff is so random.
You should only trust the actual measurements from your machine.
Pulling and resetting the gibb is easy. Just keep it clean and I lubricate it before sliding it back in.

I had a piece of stock leftover from making the clamps pictured earlyer.
It's 1-3/8" x 2" x 11.5"long so I mounted half rounds on the ends on 11" centers.
The half rounds are the same thickness but I made a spacer, Brass, to give me the taper required and when I run into a different taper I can make a new spacer.
So it works as a NON precision angle plate.
Will improve it a bit as I go. Keys and a backstop for aligning the tool to the table and keep the gibb straight.
Might true the mounting surface up a bit.
I have to use two clamps and move them as needed.
IMG_9258 - Copy.JPGIMG_9259 - Copy.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I have been taking some pictures but want to get well along with the work before posting it.
Some of the machine improvements I've done were before joining the site and I never made a record.

LEEQ Now I see that your making something new and can use any taper you want.

IMG_9258 - Copy.JPG IMG_9259 - Copy.JPG

.013/inch. Got it. I will do rough measures on one of mine without pulling it and see how they compare, thanks.

LEEQ,

Did you get your dimensions?

I have a Bridgeport Table and saddle that I have been cleaning up over the week end.

If you need measurements I would be happy to provide them.

toolman_ar

Toolman
Please do let us know.
I'm just curious now but may make a tool that could use a taper gib latter.

I did not. I decided that as my projects must follow order of importance. The tapered gib project will wait until I work the mill over. While doing so, I will measure the gibs. In the mean time, I'm very interested in the rate of taper on yours. Anything close to .013/"?

I just measured the table gib:

0.0119 on the fat end
0.0131 on the thin end

On the saddle:
0.015 fat end
0.012 thin end

i measured in 3 places and took an average.
There is a line where it was ground and the years have worked off about 0.002.

Hope this helps.

toolman_ar

image.jpg photo (5).JPG

Last edited:
Sorry about the double picture, I cannot find a way to delete the first picture.

toolman_ar

Thank you, do you have the distance between the two places the measurements were taken?

Back