Rate of taper on bridgeport gibs?

LEEQ

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hopefully that's a bit clearer than mud. I'm hoping somebody knows the rate of taper on a gib strip. I'm also curious as to what else is tapered. Assuming we are working with the x axis (table). It makes sense to me that the way on the saddle that mates with the gib would be tapered, as well as that side of the gib. Am I on the right track? Or am I ass backwards and the face of the gib that mates with the table way and the table way are the tapered surface?

Well I figured out the relationship of the parts, still not sure as to the rate of taper though.

The taper on the gib mates to the taper on the part it is anchored to. The surface that the way slides against has to be square in order to maintain the same fit through the range of motion. I might have to pull a gib to measure the taper though.

I can't answer your question but have been wondering what gibb taper they use as well.
On my cheapo china stuff the gibbs taper 13.15 mills/inch.
They fit so poorly that the measurements vary a bit.
I've pulled the gibbs on Bridgeports in the past and it was easy to do and re-instal.

My most accurate means of measuring would be to use the dro. Measure in one spot by using the z or u axis, move over in the x axis say 10" and measure again. Perhaps I can remove the y axis gib and clamp the saddle to the knee somehow. Then I would have a gib to measure and two axis to measure in. Jim, how did you measure yours?

LEEQ
Lost track of this thread. Sorry it's taken so long to answer.

I pulled the gibb and used feeler gauges to measure the actual gap.
Easy to do on the small end but I had to be careful to get a good reading on the large end.
Want that one to just start in.
Divided the variance by the length of the saddle.
Compared those measurements with the key.

I checked my notes and the actual taper averaged 0.013" on this jet machine.
Yes" averaged" because the work is so crude.
Haven't converted that to metric.
I'll make the gibb a little thick and long because I'll scrape the ways and gibb.

IMG_9247.JPG
This is the setup for machining the top and bottom angles.
The clamps worked well but with such a little machine I had to slide the gibb forward for the second half.
The long taper hasn't been cut in this pic but the clamps could be angled for that taper as well.

IMG_9247.JPG

So the taper measured .013 different, over what distance? I want to approximate this angle on another machine and will be making the parts, so close is good enough. Do you intend to post a documentation of your gib and way work? I'm sure lots of us are interested.

could one not just trig the triangle? Take the diff between the thin side and the tall side and that would be side opposite and you have side adjacent in the length. That should be enough to find the angle would it not?

Jim has ready access to the numbers with his stuff torn apart. I need numbers to run formulae. Actually, skip the fancy math on this project.. Taper per inch is all I intend to figure. That will allow me to set up the offset and make the cut. Ie: if his tapers.013 in 10", my taper will be .0013 per inch. I'm playing with tapers not matching them, so I have a little freedom and no great need to convert to angles and such.

Back