Rack for Dewalt tools

I have some rectangular aluminum tube 2" x 6" ...hmmmm

By the way, I personally would not charge Li batteries on or around a wood surface. For my ebike batteries they recommend only charging outdoors or in an ammo container or oven. I may build a dedicated charging station that is fireproof.
To wit- Samsung S7:

View attachment 296660

R
Whoa!!! I didn't know that! Been charging mine in and around studded walls for years, but that looks scary. What would you think about a piece of 16 or 18 gauge sheet metal behind it with 6" or so sides above below and on the sides? Kinda like a box hanging on its side with no lid?

Also, I actually thought about making mine out of 1/4" plate aluminum that I've got lying around, but I had one problem: I STINK at TIG welding. Made a good pass or two on steel, but all I've ever managed to do on aluminum is melt it into glob. Someday, I'll come up with a project to practice on, but those tight inside corners were unquestionably beyond my skill level. I would think aluminum tubing would be great because of the rounded corners. If you try it, I'd love to see some pictures.

Regards,
Terry

Sheet metal would definitely help. Maybe some concrete board too? I don't mean to be alarmist; the chances are likely small but you never know. The ebike guys say they have only ever heard of fires when charging or if the battery was physically damaged.
Robert

Reactions: tjb
I like the design of your drill rack. And last night, I was browsing Craigslist and found this similar one offered for sale:

Anyway, I know how to take a hint ... so I'm now in the process of building one for my own workbench. Thanks for the concept!

I priced the plastic, I can buy 1/2" Baltic birch cabinet grade plywood 4'x8' more affordably. Am I missing something?

If I get the time tomorrow , I may just break out the saws and whip something similar to your rack . Perhaps that would help me in being able to locate all the BOTs laying everywhere .

I like the design of your drill rack. And last night, I was browsing Craigslist and found this similar one offered for sale:

Anyway, I know how to take a hint ... so I'm now in the process of building one for my own workbench. Thanks for the concept!
Thanks, John. I actually thought about adding a section above the shelf on mine to mount the chargers. But since I already had those mounted, I decided to leave it alone. Like Yogi says, "If it ain't broke, don't break it." Also, I originally planned to hang the tools from the tool end instead of the handle, but it didn't take long to figure out they would be more balanced hanging from the handle, it took less material, and tool identification was a non-issue.

P.S.: Wouldn't take twenty bucks for mine.

Regards,
Terry

I priced the plastic, I can buy 1/2" Baltic birch cabinet grade plywood 4'x8' more affordably. Am I missing something?
No, you're not missing anything. The plastic is definitely going to cost more than cabinet grade plywood. I already had the plastic in my shop, so for me, it was a no-brainer. I have to say though, given the way it turned out, I think I like it better made out of the plastic anyway. It's more compact, and it'll probably last thirty or more years where you'll probably only get twenty out of the plywood.

I had to buy some plastic for a larger project, and I'm actually glad I had a fair amount left over. I've already found all kinds of uses for the extra (draw liners, small machine parts holders, etc.), and it's very easy to work with. Another option that will work very nicely is what jdedmon91 used: PVC pipe with slots cut out to slide the tools into. Not sure how he mounted them to his wall, but it certainly looks like it would work. If he's following this thread, maybe he could offer a comment?

Regards,
Terry

If I get the time tomorrow , I may just break out the saws and whip something similar to your rack . Perhaps that would help me in being able to locate all the BOTs laying everywhere .
If you do, post some pix. Would love to see how yours turn out.

Regards,
Terry

If you do, post some pix. Would love to see how yours turn out.

No you wouldn't , really . :grin: You'd see the mess around it .

P.S.: Don't know where you're pricing the plastic, but I got mine off ebay. Much cheaper that way. If you decide to use the plastic (cast acrylic) make sure you get the right kind of solvent. There are several types, and they don't all work the same. If you want more info, I can get it for you tomorrow.

Regards,
Terry

Back