R8 collet question

actually the R-8 to ER32 collet adaptor might be a good choice. got one pretty reasonably from LMS (http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3615&category=) and was sure if i would use it much. it has been very handy for odd sizes because of the range of the ER collets. i have used it to mill with and it works great. i don't know if i would take very heavy cuts but it does work well.

I've gotten away with 50 thousandths per pass milling a channel with an 11/16 HSS end mill through 4140 on my G0704 at 800 RPM using an R8 to ER-32 adapter. I was feeding reasonably quickly too.

Have to agree with Jono, a split bushing is easy and works really well. The price is better to. IMHO.

Have to agree with Jono, a split bushing is easy and works really well. The price is better to. IMHO.

the price is better for that particular size but must needs a separate bushing with each small change in size. is also subject to wear and tear. the key is if you already have the ER32 collets for another machine there would be no doubt cheaper in the long run. if you have to buy a collet each time then it probably needs some more evaluation on the cost basis.

Sounds like a good exscuse to buy more R8 collets to me. And pick up some er's while you are at it. It's all about new tools right?:roflmao:

Back