R8 collet question

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I ran into a situation where I couldn't hold a small end mill in any of my r8 collets so I see a potential problem down the road if that cutter is my only option. So would I be better off buying all the 1/32 increment collets and metric or go with an adapter to ER collets?

Charley--if you are talking about just a couple small endmills, what I would make is a small standard stub and drill the size of the endmill and put a setscrew where the flat of the endmill is .then you can use it in your standard r8 collet. no expense--just a little time---Dave

Charley--if you are talking about just a couple small endmills, what I would make is a small standard stub and drill the size of the endmill and put a setscrew where the flat of the endmill is .then you can use it in your standard r8 collet. no expense--just a little time---Dave

What's the fun in that? Then I can't show off my new tool gloat.

Good idea but then I have to try & find a drill bit of that size.
It's never ending.

What's the fun in that? Then I can't show off my new tool gloat.

Good idea but then I have to try & find a drill bit of that size.
It's never ending.

I thought all machinists had every size drill bit there could be and many of them like me. :thinking:

You will never find anywhere on this forum where I said I was a machinist :whistle:

Charley--I collected my thousands of drill bits before I bought any metal lathes or milling machines or metal shapers---now , you know that you are a machinist because we all belong to the hobby machinist forum, so you are a machinist!!!!--and I would bet a very good one also. ---I am more like just a tinkerer with some neat old iron machines to play on--I do have a few tricks up my sleeve to help me with projects. anyway--where did you get those little non standard size endmills--they must have the size somewhere on them to match a drill bit size---I really like the small collet holders and have some very nice Balas collet sets, but I need a Balas or sandvik c2 collet holder to fit in an r8 shank.--I don't think anyone on this site uses the Balas collets--Dave

I'm new to this game but I sure prefer swapping out ER-32 collets a lot better than messing around with the draw bar when I don't have to. It drives me nuts when I realize I need to use a drill bit I don't have an ER-32 collet for and have to put the R8 drill chuck back in!

anyway--where did you get those little non standard size endmills--they must have the size somewhere on them to match a drill bit size-----Dave

I got them out by a dumpster at Mahle when I was painting some fork lifts for them. There was a Craftsman work bench with the drawers in it sitting out there and asked if I could have it, the cutters all very tiny & brand new were in the drawers, got about 20 plus a bunch of other goodies.

I got them out by a dumpster at Mahle when I was painting some fork lifts for them. There was a Craftsman work bench with the drawers in it sitting out there and asked if I could have it, the cutters all very tiny & brand new were in the drawers, got about 20 plus a bunch of other goodies.

Charley--wow that was sure a good find---are all the shanks all the same size or all different? well maybe you better get a small collet set if they are all different sized shanks. if they are all the same size shanks then I probably could send you a drill bit to drill a hole for them. ----Dave

All different sizes, They had several machining centers. I got a ton of nice stuff they were throwing away.

Back