Quill DRO

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I installed a Mitutoyo Quill DRO today. I did have to modify one of the mounting brackets as the screws they sent were not long enough. Other than that it was no problem.

20230216_160922.jpg

20230216_175009.jpg

Last edited:
I thought I had a problem to start with but after future testing, I believe it reads correctly, at least it matches both of my dial indicators.

20230216_213639.jpg

I installed a Mitutoyo Quill DRO today. I did have to modify one of the mounting brackets as the screws they sent were not long enough. Other than that it was no problem.

View attachment 438000

View attachment 438006

That is a useful modification. I didn’t even know that they made those for knee mills.

Your milling machine looks really clean & well cared for.

David, I'm not sure what you mean. I made sure I have full travel.
Does the depth stop trigger disengagement of the quill power feed when going down as well as up? If you want me to outline how to test this, let me know. But if you engage power feed on the quill, running the spindle in forward, you want the quill feed to automatically disengage when the depth stop is reached. Similarly, if running in reverse, you want the quill feed to disengage when the quill reaches the top-most position. Some of these quill DRO units can complicate or disable this power feed escapement mechanism. If yours works, then great - and congratulations. You will be very glad you used a Mitutoyo unit - the battery on mine is still going strong after 6 years.

I gave up on the stock Mitutoyo quill bracket on my PM-935 and built my own brackets and attachment mechanism to provide consistent and reliable power feed triggering. I also incorporated the the Morton quill Speed-Stop which has been a very nice addition - highly recommend.

IMG_0276.jpeg

IMG_0277.jpeg

Thanks for the info. I did check the power feed stop this morning and it works in both directions. I ordered a Morton Quill Stop a couple days ago so I will be adding one of those soon.

By the way David, thanks for the link on how to install it. That will help.

By the way David, thanks for the link on how to install it. That will help.
Make sure you have a long (1.5" or so) 4-40 or 5-40 screw (either will work) to get the teeter-totter out of the upper section.

Back