Quieting gear noise.

On both of my Sheldon lathes, the inside gear train cover is coated with some kind of yucky tar looking stuff that they used to quieten down the gear noise. It does some what works. There is also two non-metallic gears in the gear train that helps probably more than the tar looking coating does. In fact I get more noise from the gearing in the head stock than the gear train!

Insulate the shop for sound. Homosote is an excellent sound deadner. Look at the borg. It's gone up in price, but is still reasonable.
put it on the ceiling under his room. Great stuff. It's 1/2 or 3/4 thick, and installs like sheetrock except you don't have to seam it with spackle.

I have a suspended cieling in my basement shop and it's not good enough for machines. ..
Do you already have sheetrock? If so, check out the homosote. If you don't consider rock wool insulation, then sheetrock and homosote.

Hahaha, this turned out funny. You old guys are a riot sometimes.

I'm a contractor, I know of many sound deadening materials. My garage ceiling is drywalled, it will have (sparse) pink insulation for the bedroom above, but it won't be nearly enough, as in very often the case with the bedrooms over garages in Canada (bedrooms always cold due to insufficient insulation and vapour barrier. (Good builders spray foam them now... but not many). My one car garage is not getting gutted to put roxul in the ceiling. Way too much stuff in there now... shoulda done it when I moved in. I heat my garage with a hot dawg gas unit furnace. I sprayed foam onto the walls I could access, but not the ceiling. So, insulation is not an easy option. The other issue is vibration transfer. I put the lathe (bench top) on thick industrial rubber mats, that helped big time.

I've adjusted the banjo many times and I feel it is optimal. I can coat those gears in grease, and they shut up for a little while. Till the grease works it's way off the teeth and then it's noisy again. We are just talking about regular gear noise. No significant wear or back lash or clinking between gears. Just the regular grind and hum of gears. The gear box is the same.
I was just wondering if there was a grease I could use that would stay in the teeth longer than the blue stuff I'm using that's actually meant for my 1964 Robins & Myers boat sized 2 hp compressor motor...
But thanks guys, this was entertaining.

What the hell is this 'old guys' crap? LOL. Glad you found some portions of the thread entertaining. Besides, if you can't have a little fun life gets awful boring.

I use a very tacky spray lube from CRC that is meant for open gears and chains. It is rather messy, but a little bit goes a long way. When I have trouble obtaining it, I just use spray motorcycle chain lube. It works just as well and is very tacky also so that it stays in place.

Oooooold guys!
Hey, I'm no spring chicken... I certainly don't feel like it. The life of a contractor is certainly hard on the body.

Ill look into the chain lube. I suppose that's probably not far off of chain saw oil?

Back