Quick change tool post vs cast iron four way.

If use four way you need shims to adjust the tool height.

The the weg type to fit mini lathes { OXA}.
If use a Aloris you need to adjust the compound hight or buy a slide from LMS.
I had a Aloris and put on my mini lathe by buying a new lower compound.
View attachment 477013

Dave
My four way using 1/2" shank carbide insert cutters the hight is perfect without shims. I rarely use smaller cutters but now with the help of some great tips I have options. I milled up some 1/8" shims and glued them to the bottom of the 3/8" cutters I have and the hight was perfect. No more fiddling with shims.It amazes me the amount of knowledge that's available on this forum!!

f use four way you need shims to adjust the tool height.
I've used 4 way tool posts on lathes for 45 years. 20 on my 14" lathes, and 10 on my 15" lathe. Never used a shim. Not once. Cutter holders, or "tools" are milled to be exactly on centre. Somehow this seems to escape many people, and so this shimming myth keeps being promulgated.

You Need NEVER shim a tool in a 4-way, if you are prepared to do a one time fitment that takes about 20 minutes.

Yes I use Aloris QCTP, I have Dixon, I have American Rocker - on all 3 of my lathes. I use the 4-way more than any of the others.

I've used 4 way tool posts on lathes for 45 years. 20 on my 14" lathes, and 10 on my 15" lathe. Never used a shim. Not once. Cutter holders, or "tools" are milled to be exactly on centre. Somehow this seems to escape many people, and so this shimming myth keeps being promulgated.

You Need NEVER shim a tool in a 4-way, if you are prepared to do a one time fitment that takes about 20 minutes.
I don't see a Chinese 7x or 8x lathe in your list.
Also, you must never grind the top of your HSS tools?

I don't see a Chinese 7x or 8x lathe in your list.
Also, you must never grind the top of your HSS tools?

I have a very inexpensive offshore 4-way for my 12" lathe. From the base to centre line is .606 inches. So I bought 5/8 tooling, and took off the difference using my 4-way chuck (long before I bought my first mill). It didn't take long.

I grind all my HSS tools for top, clearance and leade angles (I prefer 7 degrees, but some of my friends use 10 degrees. I usually use HSS with my Rocker tool post. When I use any HSS tool bit in my 4-way tool post it is for form tools. For tools do not have top clearance, or they would be too tricky to grind properly.

Last edited:

Yes I use Aloris QCTP, I have Dixon, I have American Rocker - on all 3 of my lathes. I use the 4-way more than any of the others.
If you hand sharpen tools you need shims.

If part is large and going center you may not need to shim.

I have work with turrets that 4 way and hand sharpen for profiles on machining double Flange wheels.

Dave

I've heard that the Olde 4-way is more rigid than many import quickies.

've heard that the Olde 4-way is more rigid than many import quickies.
It is one of the reasons that I reach for my 4-way often. For parting and heavy turning, they can't be beat. The next most rigid is the Dixon tool post. Aloris and Multifix are about neck-and neck. But I have never liked using Multifix, which is why I don't own one. I might get one, for comparison purposes, if I can get one cherish.

@VicHobbyGuy I use HSS flat topped tools in my 4 way for doing various proviles, for instance to make an inside or outside radius or chamfer.

It is one of the reasons that I reach for my 4-way often. For parting and heavy turning, they can't be beat. The next most rigid is the Dixon tool post. Aloris and Multifix are about neck-and neck. But I have never liked using Multifix, which is why I don't own one. I might get one, for comparison purposes, if I can get one cherish.

@VicHobbyGuy I use HSS flat topped tools in my 4 way for doing various proviles, for instance to make an inside or outside radius or chamfer.
I found the Aloris is the most rigid.
The 4 way could be rigid like on a turret lathe.
The Multifix is very flexible but large and not as rigid.

I like the Aloris and have 4 way a lot too.

Dave

The compound is the weak link on my Grizzly G9972Z. I made the improved compound clamp that Clough42 featured in one of his videos and it helped but the entire compound assembly is just small. The gibs are small and if tightened enough to limit movement against the cutting tool, they're also too tight to move with reasonable torque from the hand wheels. The only time the QCTP is an issue is if I don't tighten it so I have nothing else to blame.

Back