Quick change tool post vs cast iron four way.

steelcat

Registered
Registered
I have been doing my research on possibly replacing my Vevor 7x14 lathes tool post with a quick change tool post. The stock post to me seems to be a very robust cast iron 4 way with a 10mm center post. The replacement post that I am looking at is a steel OXA wedge type.
My question is does the OXA offer any other advantages over the stock post other than tool hight adjustment and tool change speed? I am trying to convince myself that I need one but I am having trouble doing it. With respect to tool height the stock post is spot on with 1/2" tools of course on the rare occasions when I need a smaller tool I have to shim the tool. Now for changing tools. I have my post set up with my two most used tools and when I have to change them it's no big deal to me. I can see were the Qc wood be beneficial for a production machine but for a hobby machine I just can't see it. If I was lookin for speed I got the wrong machine! Am I missing something here are there other advantages?
Thanks!

super glue shims to the bottom of the tool bit to bring it up to centerline. this will give you 4 tool bits on one of the 4 ways. for the other 4 way grind flats on the bottom and top of the boring bars. then glue shims to the bottom of the boring bars to bring them up to centerline. by gluing the shims to the bottom of the tool bits it is easy to change out a tool bit.

I tend to keep my cutting tools with the pile of shims that take it to the center height , I don't leave tools in the spare positions as I have found this to be a good way to cut my hands. :)

Stu

super glue shims to the bottom of the tool bit to bring it up to centerline. this will give you 4 tool bits on one of the 4 ways. for the other 4 way grind flats on the bottom and top of the boring bars. then glue shims to the bottom of the boring bars to bring them up to centerline. by gluing the shims to the bottom of the tool bits it is easy to change out a tool bit.
Another great idea!! Thanks

Last edited:
For hand-ground HSS cutters, the height adjust on a QCTP can be indispensable. Depending on the height of the slots in your 4-way as soon as the cutter tip is ground below the level of the top of your HSS blank it may no longer be possible to shim it up enough to get the cutter on center (without grinding down the full top of the cutter. Of course using e.g. 3/8" tool blanks in a 1/2" slot this shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, it's really about convenience.

GsT

I have been doing my research on possibly replacing my Vevor 7x14 lathes tool post with a quick change tool post. The stock post to me seems to be a very robust cast iron 4 way with a 10mm center post. The replacement post that I am looking at is a steel OXA wedge type.
My question is does the OXA offer any other advantages over the stock post other than tool hight adjustment and tool change speed? I am trying to convince myself that I need one but I am having trouble doing it. With respect to tool height the stock post is spot on with 1/2" tools of course on the rare occasions when I need a smaller tool I have to shim the tool. Now for changing tools. I have my post set up with my two most used tools and when I have to change them it's no big deal to me. I can see were the Qc wood be beneficial for a production machine but for a hobby machine I just can't see it. If I was lookin for speed I got the wrong machine! Am I missing something here are there other advantages?
Thanks!
If use four way you need shims to adjust the tool height.

The the weg type to fit mini lathes { OXA}.
If use a Aloris you need to adjust the compound hight or buy a slide from LMS.
I had a Aloris and put on my mini lathe by buying a new lower compound.
20240110_125637.jpg

Dave

If you only use a few different tools, then the '4-way' should suffice.
The QCTP holds not only different outside cutting tools, but the knurler, the dial indicator, the ball-bearing alignment 'helper', boring bars, threading tools, etc.... all set at the correct height, or easily re-adjustable to the correct height.
For me, the QCTP and my many tool holders are in the category of "pry it from my cold dead hands" :) . I don't think I'm the only person who feels this way. :)

Back