Quick change tool post for SouthBend 9A lathe

Since you already have it, I'd probably make a dedicated shim to get the tool post up on spindle centerline and run with it. Somewhere down the road you may find need for a bigger tool post, but maybe not. Is the body of your current tool post made of steel, or is one of those aluminum deals for the 7" mini lathes? If it's steel, I'd definitely stick with it for the time being.

The tool post I have is a not a Quick Change. It is a turret one, similar to the picture below, and it is a nice solid piece of steel that is probably a contemporary of the lathe (I'm talking 1960's). I apologize for picture quality, it's the first one I was able to find.

full

I have a similar tool post to that you show, on my 1950's big iron machine. It's a real work horse- but very one dimensional. You definitely need a set of shims for that style. I think my thickest is 1/4". Don't forget paper is usually .003" thick. Good for minor adjustments when you grind the chip breaker once to many times down below the top surface of the bit!

You will really enjoy switching over to an AXA QCTP. So much easier mounting different toolings. You won't regret it! I routinely now keep three or four bits at hand for turning - roughing, finishing, facing, and one really sharp, pointy thing for getting into impossible inside corners.

Glenn

If you get a QCTP, don't be surprised that the T of the mounting bolt won't fit the slot on your compound (I know mine didn't on my 9A).
This is because they're made to fit a wide variety of lathes. It is soft metal and easily cut or machined for proper width.

Also found this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Change-Tool-Post-Set/dp/B002YPDQ4G. Seems to have decent reviews.

This is the tool post I have on my SB 9a. You can see photos in my restoration thread. It is working well and I've had no problems with it.

[EDIT]- correction, I guess I never posted a picture of the QCTP. Anyway, you should know that you WILL HAVE to mill the t-slot nut yourself. You'll get a piece of flat stock that has been drilled and threaded. The nut is up to you to mill.

Anyway, you should know that you WILL HAVE to mill the t-slot nut yourself. You'll get a piece of flat stock that has been drilled and threaded. The nut is up to you to mill.

I kind of figured that already. But thanks for the heads up.

BTW, just looked through your restoration thread. Great job. Mine came all assembled and mounted on the bench. I was never courageous enough to take it apart for cleaning, but it is running great, so it was never much of a priority. The only thing that I will tackle at some point is the gear cover. The pin holding it in place got bent (or the hole for the pin got deformed) and the cover does not align properly anymore. Not really a big deal, I just run with the cover open, but it does bother somewhat.

full

If you know the thread of the toolpost (generally 9/16-18, though check it, some are metric)
you can also search on ebay for "south bend t nut". I bought one when I got an AXA toolpost
for my 9C because at the time I didn't have a mill or a 4 jaw chuck for my lathe. I bought the
"extra long" variety which fills the full width of the t slot. If you do have a mill or a 4 jaw it shouldn't
be difficult to machine one yourself.

The only thing that I will tackle at some point is the gear cover. The pin holding it in place got bent (or the hole for the pin got deformed) and the cover does not align properly anymore. Not really a big deal, I just run with the cover open, but it does bother somewhat.

Same with mine. I tried to repour the babbitt myself with sold solder but it didn't really work that well and didn't hold up. There's a great video on YouTube of a guy fixing his with a machined eccentric. That's a project I'd really like to tackle!

Hey, If you have the link to that video, I'd really like to see that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I bought mine from CDCOtools.com I also found someone on EBAY who makes the 14mm tslot for the SB 9. It was perfect. And so is the wedge that CDCO sells.
I am curious if your tool post has a rocker, and the right size tool holder. The latern maybe the wrong size, or the rocker is missing and the tool holder too small. But go with the AXA wedge from CDCO you won't be disappointed.

Same with mine. I tried to repour the babbitt myself with sold solder but it didn't really work that well and didn't hold up. There's a great video on YouTube of a guy fixing his with a machined eccentric. That's a project I'd really like to tackle!
I fixed mine by peening with a punch and tightening the babbit around the post. It worked well. Been 3 years and has not dropped back down.

Back