Quick change tool post for SB 10k

sturgeondaddy74

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm wanting to add a QC tool post to my SB 10k and get rid of the lantern style. I'm stuck on whether or I should go with a 100 series or 200 series. Also, wedge versus piston.

No difference between wedge and piston type in terms of rigidity. I'd go for the piston type.

I have a Bostar AXA (100 series?) on my Heavy 10. It is the appropriate size. Unless you were referring to a KDK 100.
I have always heard claims that the wedge style are more repeatable, but have never seen evidence.

Last edited:
No difference between wedge and piston type in terms of rigidity. I'd go for the piston type.
That's not the accepted wisdom I've seen.

The piston type pushes the holder out against the dovetail so you have to two outer edges plus the piston surface making contact. The wedge style pulls the holder in towards the tool post so there is more surface contact. There are nearly countless threads where people talk about problems and movement with the piston style holders.

For a long time the piston type was a lot cheaper, so that's why people bought them...there's little difference in price now.

Aloris and Dorian stopped offering the piston style...for a reason.

There was a pretty exhaustive thread on this with references, links to other threads, etc.

This what like is a AXA on a 10K or 9A now on a mini lathe.

Dave

FYI I purchased this back in the 1970's when Aloris was #2 on market let better price.

tool post.jpg

Wedge style for sure...unless you come across a killer deal on a piston type Aloris or Dorian.

As far as import brands go, Bostar seems to be mentioned a lot. I bought a Phase II, and it works fine, but for the money, I'd go Bostar if given a do-over.

I got a hang up where I go out of my way to buy made in America whenever possible. It's really conflicting on the QCTP purchase though because I could easily spend as much as I did on my entire lathe.

I got a hang up where I go out of my way to buy made in America whenever possible. It's really conflicting on the QCTP purchase though because I could easily spend as much as I did on my entire lathe.
Dorian is the least expensive U.S. made QCTP. Sets start around $1K for the tool post and four holders.

Go with a wedge type AXA series QCTP. What you spend is up to you, but I have a Phase II (import) AXA that I paid $160 (TP and 4 or 5 holders). I can usually get tool holders for around $15US when they are on sale. I have a bunch of them.

Back