Quick Change Gear Box Conversion Questions

Strtspdlx

Active User
Registered
I'm looking to convert my th54 to a qc54 from my understanding with a new banjo and forward reverse lever I can install it. My question is will I need anymore gears for the drivetrain and will I need to replace me lead screw or will my existing lead screw bolt directly to the gear box?

Regards-Carlo

Carlo.

First step is to determine which model of QCGB you have or are going to buy. 1500 (3/4" leadscrew) or 1700 (5/8" leadscrew) has a tumbler with a spring loaded pin similar to the ones on the two settings levers. 6800 has a tumbler with an arced slot. A stud sticks up through the slot and a nut on the stud locks the tumbler in position. Once you've determined that, go to Downloads > Machine Manuals, Catalogs & Drawings > Atlas/Craftsman/AA > A/C Lathes > A/C Lathe Accessories and download the appropriate manual. Be sure to read the description.

The leadscrew does not bolt to anything either on the TH or on the QC machines. It has a keyway milled on the left end which when you slide the leadscrew into either the FWD/REV gearbox or the QCGB engages with a key in the hole. The conversion requires cutting 1" off of the left end of the leadscrew but you do use the original leadscrew. Use the parts list to be sure that what you buy includes all of the parts you will need. The drilling template shown on the parts drawing is probably always missing but fortunately is only needed with the 1700 (5/8" leadscrew). I haven't studied the parts list and compared it to the 10F parts list to see which gears are already on the TH. If you don't have the TH parts manual, download that as well.

Well it's either a 1500 or 1700 gearbox as it has a spring loaded lever for the tumbler. I contacted the seller to ask what size the bore is that the lead screw goes into. Hopefully he'll be able to give me an accurate measurement I have to measure mine when I get home as I haven't the first clue which it has.

Regards-Carlo

Also I went to downloads and it will not allow me to download anything it says I do not have permission too. I'm on my mobile phone using tapatalk. When I get home I'll go on my laptop and see if it allows me too then.

Regards-Carlo

Carlo,

On all of the 10" and all of the 3/8" bed and most of the 1/2" bed 12", the diameter of the left end of the lead screw is 5/8". Atlas apparently did this so that they wouldn't have to change the 10" FWD-REV gearbox or the left lead screw support on the 12":. In any case, as your machine is a 10F it doesn't matter whether the gearbox was originally sold as a 1500 or a 1700. You won't need the drill template and you should have the stud gear (16/32 compound gear). However, it wouldn't hurt to have a newer one, although it probably still won't have the thin steel disk between the two gears. I think that first appeared in the late 1950's and the 6800 replaced the 1500/1700 circa 1950 or 51.

On your Downloads access problem, my understanding is that access to Downloads is restricted to Active Member and above, which seems to require first getting past 30 posts and then having an Admin tic the box that says you are also a member of that Group. This would be indicated by a blue bar with Active Member in it at the left of your posts under your avatar (which currently shows a "?"). Look at some of the other threads and you will see examples. This apparently doesn't happen automagically so I'll post a not to the Admins asking one of them to tic the box.

In the meantime, if you'll send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you the PDF on the 1500/1700.

According to the seller the bore in the gearbox is 3/4" so I'm assuming it's a 1500 gear box so should my lead screw measure 5/8" which according to the information at hand it should. I believe my machine is pre 1950. Am I Interpreting this correctly?

Regards-Carlo

I didn't get a chance to measure
My lead screw last night. More or less I completely forgot. I think I'm gonna take a chance and see if I don't get lucky with the lead screw sizing. If anything I may have to make a bushing or turn my lead screw down and broach a new key way in it.

Regards-Carlo

According to the seller the bore in the gearbox is 3/4" so I'm assuming it's a 1500 gear box so should my lead screw measure 5/8" which according to the information at hand it should. I believe my machine is pre 1950. Am I Interpreting this correctly?
Regards-Carlo

Sorta but not exactly. To repeat, the lead screws on all Atlas 10" and all Atlas/Craftsman 12" built prior to 1968 are 5/8" diameter on the left end. Prior to about 1939 or 1940, they were 5/8" overall except for the right end where a short part is 1/2" dia. From then up until 1967, the majority of the length was 3/4" with only a short stub on the left end still being 5/8". These later ones are commonly referred to as 3/4" lead screws, despite the 5/8" dia. stub on the left end.

The obvious reason for why Atlas did things this way was to avoid having to make two different versions of the 10" FWD-REV box, 12" left bearing support, and various QCGB's.

I have to assume that the seller mis-measured the bore of the output shaft as all of the Atlas and Craftsman QCGB's except for the pair produced from 1968 on have a 5/8" diameter hole with internal key on their output.

Last edited:
Okay. I really appreciate your help. I did purchase it and expect for it to arrive around the 25th. I can finally begin making the parts to restore my machine. So long as it works I'm very excited I have a big
List of things I'd like to make most of which require threading.

Regards-Carlo

You're welcome, and good luck. See slight revision above.

Back