Question re: boring bushings for Atlas 6 inch lathe

If they have .0015" to .0020" press fit into the housing, you will loose about the same amount in the ID of the bushing,
- So if the bushings stand to lose that much ID following the press fit (assuming that they will then be undersized relative to the spindle shaft OD), then you are saying to bore or ream them out another .002" before installation? I was under the impression that they should be reamed to size after installing? Again, I am grateful for your input and information regarding how to go about these operations. Many thanks!

Okay, you can ream them after assembly only if you can do so and keep the two bores in line with each other.

When you get the bushings in. Do the measurements and report back and we'll try to help guide you in the right direction before you do anything drastic including pressing them into the housing or boring the bushings out before hand.

Ken

At the last place I worked at, the shop would push sizing balls through the bushings after installation. And they did that to lots of them and I never heard of any issues from doing so.

Okay, you can ream them after assembly only if you can do so and keep the two bores in line with each other.

When you get the bushings in. Do the measurements and report back and we'll try to help guide you in the right direction before you do anything drastic including pressing them into the housing or boring the bushings out before hand.

Ken
- Thanks Ken, I will do that. They won't arrive till next week because they are coming UPS ground.

At the last place I worked at, the shop would push sizing balls through the bushings after installation. And they did that to lots of them and I never heard of any issues from doing so.
- That is interesting..."sizing balls"- I have never read or heard about them before. And I don't know if that would work for this application or how to go about it even if I had access to them. I am really looking for the simplest and most cost effective solution to all this since I am a relative newcomer to "home machining" and don't have a lot of money at this time to buy new tools (tax time and lots of unforseen expenses in the last six months). Thanks for your input though.

- That is interesting..."sizing balls"- I have never read or heard about them before. And I don't know if that would work for this application or how to go about it even if I had access to them. I am really looking for the simplest and most cost effective solution to all this since I am a relative newcomer to "home machining" and don't have a lot of money at this time to buy new tools (tax time and lots of unforseen expenses in the last six months). Thanks for your input though.

It's called "Ballizing" it does work. The balls used for this process are rather expensive. Not sure how it would work in soft bronze. I don't think you would want to use it on Oilite bushings. My experience using it, was for sizing cast iron seal bores. Done right, it will leave a nice shiny surface finish.
http://nationalballomatic.com/balls.php

It's called "Ballizing" it does work. The balls used for this process are rather expensive. Not sure how it would work in soft bronze. I don't think you would want to use it on Oilite bushings. My experience using it, was for sizing cast iron seal bores. Done right, it will leave a nice shiny surface finish.
Sizing balls would ruin most oil impregnated bushings.

I am constantly amazed by the knowledge base you guys have! From the website you linked to;
"The ball's speed through it's special patented ball return track can be compared to that of a 22-caliber bullet at 100 yards. "
Well yes, that is very fast and impressive technology. Expensive too I'll bet, unless you are the purchasing agent for a large corporate entity and the cost can be justified. But I can sure see where it would have its place in high volume manufacturing. Once again, thanks for an interesting read in the form of that link Bob.

I am constantly amazed by the knowledge base you guys have! From the website you linked to;
"The ball's speed through it's special patented ball return track can be compared to that of a 22-caliber bullet at 100 yards. "
Well yes, that is very fast and impressive technology. Expensive too I'll bet, unless you are the purchasing agent for a large corporate entity and the cost can be justified. But I can sure see where it would have its place in high volume manufacturing. Once again, thanks for an interesting read in the form of that link Bob.
Thank Ken, it was his link, and a good one!

Back