Question On Mounting An Indicator On Noga

Unfortunately, I'm doing things a little backwards. I'm taking the lathe/mill class at the VoTech using industrial sized machines and accumulating tools now with the intention of getting a mini-lathe later this year.

Glenn
Great! This is a perfect project for you to do in class!

I commend you for taking classes. I bought a Unimat right about the time I graduated high school. I played with it a lot, but never knew what to do and more importantly what not to do until I signed for adult-ed machine shop some ten or twelve years later. You'll have much better formed ideas about your mini-lathe as a result.

I commend you for taking classes. I bought a Unimat right about the time I graduated high school. I played with it a lot, but never knew what to do and more importantly what not to do until I signed for adult-ed machine shop some ten or twelve years later. You'll have much better formed ideas about your mini-lathe as a result.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too, as the skills are directly transferable, except for the dreaded manual change gears on the minis.

Also guys, thanks a ton for the links...much appreciated.

Glenn

Here are 2 more sources for the lug adapter stud:
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/86422466
http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-Indicator-Attachment-Magnetic-Holder/dp/B0161BDQO8

If you are in a hurry the Harbor Freight cheap magnetic base comes with one.
Just like MSC to not list the diameter of the post. My only purchase from MSC had incorrect dimensions listed, and they would not pay return freight. Done with them...
The Amazon unit is 1/4", which is not a size on Glenn's Noga base. Might be able to force it into the 6 mm (.236")hole, my guess is 'not likely'.
I am surprised that Noga does not make one.
Glenn, I usually use DTI indicators with my Noga base using the back dovetail mount. It gives a narrow "finger" sort of probe that gets into tight areas easily, and the indicator can be set up to read easily. I can well understand that as a beginner you do not want to purchase a bunch of tools, just an idea to consider for the future.

Glenn,
Have you looked at some of the YouTube videos by Keith Rucker, Adam Booth, and Oxtoolco about Noga holders? If not, you might get a lot out of them.

Steve Shannon

Just like MSC to not list the diameter of the post. My only purchase from MSC had incorrect dimensions listed, and they would not pay return freight. Done with them...
The Amazon unit is 1/4", which is not a size on Glenn's Noga base. Might be able to force it into the 6 mm (.236")hole, my guess is 'not likely'.
I am surprised that Noga does not make one.
Glenn, I usually use DTI indicators with my Noga base using the back dovetail mount. It gives a narrow "finger" sort of probe that gets into tight areas easily, and the indicator can be set up to read easily. I can well understand that as a beginner you do not want to purchase a bunch of tools, just an idea to consider for the future.

Thanx for the correct info Bob. I had not paid attention to the sizes listed. As you said those adapters are not friendly to a google search. I feel your pain with MSC. I only use them when they have high percentage off sales. Since they inflate the heck out of the normal prices the 60% off gets the price back down to reasonable. I guess someone has to pay for the overnight free upgrade shipping. Nothings free. I have purchased thousands of dollars of products from them and have been lucky. I have not had to return anything. I have purchased magnetic bases that always came with the 3/8" lug adapter. The two Noga bases that I purchased did not include them though. I agree it is simple enough to make them.

Roy

Thanx for the correct info Bob. I had not paid attention to the sizes listed. As you said those adapters are not friendly to a google search. I feel your pain with MSC. I only use them when they have high percentage off sales. Since they inflate the heck out of the normal prices the 60% off gets the price back down to reasonable. I guess someone has to pay for the overnight free upgrade shipping. Nothings free. I have purchased thousands of dollars of products from them and have been lucky. I have not had to return anything. I have purchased magnetic bases that always came with the 3/8" lug adapter. The two Noga bases that I purchased did not include them though. I agree it is simple enough to make them.

Roy
I have several sizes on hand, and did not buy any of them new. So it probably is wise to think about what size will work best for you. Making one, you do not need to try to copy Starrett with hardening, nice knurling, and a smooth blackened finish. It is a pretty simple thing to make if you stick to functionality.

My guess is that 90+ percent of MSC orders come from people who are not spending their own money, so they like the quick service, and ignore the lack of customer good will. Funny thing is, their sister company ENCO has very good customer service, better prices, and will take care of any problems with your order with no excuses, on their nickle. I also read somewhere that you can put in an order with ENCO using a MSC stock number, and the order goes through fine and you get a better price. I need to try that someday and see if it works.

Last edited:
Back