Question On Mounting An Indicator On Noga

GAtkins

Registered
Registered
All,

First post here, complete newb, total idiot, willing to learn. Taking a class at the local VoTech.

I have a Noga and both a dial indicator (Mitutoyo) and a dial test indicator (Interapid). The Noga I have has the multi-mount on the end with the red dot and can hold 3/8, 5/8, lug back, and maybe a metric or two.

Because of my newbness, I have no clue how to mount these things on the Noga. The stem housing on the Mitutoyo will go in the large hole with some difficulty, but the the stem and entire gage are not at an optimal angle.

Done anyone have pictures of different gages mounted on the Noga that could enlighten me?

Looks like a great forum and great people around here. I'm glad to be a part of the group.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glenn Atkins

You did not mention using the knurled knob to loosen the clamp on the side of the multi sized adapter. If you do not know, loosening the knob loosens things and allows an easier fit for the indicator, and also allows the multi fit to be swiveled in the opening it is fitted to. If you have the fine adjustment at the indicator end, it can be helpful to arrange things so the indicator face is facing the opposite direction from the fine adjust knob. But, of course, do what works for what you are trying to achieve. Also, Noga makes a bunch of indicator mounts, with lots of different arrangements and different sizes for mounting things. The model number of your Noga and the stem diameter of your Mitutoyo indicator would be helpful.

Bob,

Thanks for the help. The Noga I have is the MG71003, which has the FA1500 fine adjustment and the FA1510 that holds 6mm, 8mm, 3/8, dovetail, and back lug.

And the Mitutoyo I have is the 2416S-10 with a 3/8 stem diameter.

Yes, I know that about Noga, but their website is extremely not user friendly.

Glenn

I'm most interested in using the back lug to mount the indicator such that the plunger points straight out of the Noga.

Glenn

No I don't, but that's the exact setup I'm looking for. Where's the best place to get stuff like that for different configurations?

Thanks again Bob.

Glenn

I usually find things like that hiding in a piece of round stock. Just turn to size drill and tap

Unfortunately, I'm doing things a little backwards. I'm taking the lathe/mill class at the VoTech using industrial sized machines and accumulating tools now with the intention of getting a mini-lathe later this year.

Glenn

Interestingly, this:
http://www.flexbar.com/shop/pc/LUGBACK-ADAPTOR-p4999.htm
is about all I see after a couple simple searches. I have several of them, different sizes, got them in tool lots, never paid much attention to them. I am with kd4gij, it is simple enough to make, as simple as a 5/16" (or whatever size you are looking for) bolt with an unthreaded shank long enough to act as the post, and two jam nuts and flat washers to mount it to the lug back. Tools required: hack saw and file. Source of materials: local hardware store.

Back