Question About Symbols

tomw

Registered
Registered
Dear All,

I am attempting to build a model beam engine originally designed by Elmer Verburg. I downloaded the plan from John Tomlinson's site. I have made OK progress, but I am confused by some of the call-outs.

In particular, I don't know what the circled letters mean. For example, in the image below are circled C, S and P (outlined in red). On other parts of the plan you will also find a B.

24_beam_sub.jpg

Any help will be much appreciated. If this questions belongs elsewhere please let me know.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
On the site you got the plans from is an appendix that explains everything. its after plan 52.

I suspect that the indicated symbols have been unused for 50 or more years and have been replaced by ANSI and ISO symbols. However a symbol inside a circle denotes round work,
Brings back memories however, the circled P on its back is perplexing in every way.

Does it mean perpendicular to another datum?
In the ISO Standards:
The symbol for two plane surfaces with a required parallel relationship is // with a tolerance band.http://www.gdandtbasics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Parallelism-Drawing-Callout.jpg

The symbol for concentricity for round parts with one or more concentric diameters is a circle within a circle with a tolerance band. http://www.emachineshop.com/machine-shop/assets/images/GDT/Concentricity.jpg

The ISO did a nice job of making the symbols easy to visually grasp the intent of if not the actual meaning.

I will have to look into the inclined P symbol as it would make an interesting avatar on a machinists forum

So is that something the drafter came up with or old methods?
Matt

So is that something the drafter came up with or old methods?
Matt
It's probably something the drafter came up with. I recall doing the same thing on drawings way back before the days of cad and ISO standards. Even today, if a company wanted to do this for inhouse use or even for a contractor to use, there is no law or rules that say you can't do it. I don't think very highly about ISO. Especially when they try to dictate that it's their way or bust.

Back