QCTP Question HF 12x36"

In a nutshell, there are four bolts that hold the bed to the headstock. Over the motor there are two bolts with lock nuts (one is very hard to get at). These are used to jack the headstock fore and aft. The trickiness comes when you tighten down the headstock - it tends to change the adjustment you so carefully made.

I plan on redoing it with a different method of test bar. I'll document it when I do it.

John

to set my tool post 90 degrees to the spindle i move it against the face of the closed chuck jaws centered then tighten down the post.
there is probably a better way but it works well for me.
steve

Parting has been something I have wanted to do but havent pursued. 5/8" is the smallest parting blade?

No it is certainly not the smallest. IMO it is so much smaller than you need on this size machine. I really don't like using these little easy to break blades on anything more than 3/4"
toy.JPG
In the above picture I got poor results on a piece of 3/4" SS but it worked.

real.JPG
Above is a more reasonable expectation of this class machine. I don't recall the size but i can get 1.5 inches through the spindle and I'm thinking 2" through the chuck.

comparison.JPG
In the middle is the parting tool I made from a lantern tool holder, right of that is the same parting tool that works well on the 7x10 or 9x20. at top is another of them. To the left is the holder I milled out for the day (be still my beating heart) that I can justify buying something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/350442442671?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but you'd need 5/8" holders. I'd get the 3/4" sized if I had a BXA and no worries or milling.

comp2.JPG
Another view.

Everybody is giving you good advice. it will all work I am pointing out just some of the shortfalls of a AXA on a 12x lathe. You will spend money on each holder you buy 9$ each on axa from cdco or 11$ each.

Have fun with which ever you choose and rest assured it will work. psst get the wedge type.

Steve

toy.JPG real.JPG comparison.JPG comp2.JPG

Wow! Lots of good info. So for parting, you need a thicker and taller blade to do deeper cuts? If I wanted to cut through 4" round mild steel would the 1/2" be enough or do I need to go to 5/8" or 3/4"? What are the limits of the tooling (good to know before I try, so pieces dont go flying all over the shop because I overestimated) :lmao:

Wow! Lots of good info. So for parting, you need a thicker and taller blade to do deeper cuts? If I wanted to cut through 4" round mild steel would the 1/2" be enough or do I need to go to 5/8" or 3/4"? What are the limits of the tooling (good to know before I try, so pieces dont go flying all over the shop because I overestimated) :lmao:

4"!!! You'd be much better off with a bandsaw at that diameter! That's not really a parting off diameter except for a seasoned machinist with a big rigid machine and carbide insert parting blade.

Don't even try that diameter with 3/4, 5/8 or 1/2 tooling. The bit can and will literally explode! Ask me how I know...

John

to set my tool post 90 degrees to the spindle i move it against the face of the closed chuck jaws centered then tighten down the post.
there is probably a better way but it works well for me.
steve

Steve, that's how I do it too... But I was talking about aligning the headstock to the bead not the toolpost to the work.

John

When I am talking 5/8 or 3/4 I am not talking about the blade but the the size slot the blade holder needs in the block for the insert blade sets..

The BXA holder takes a 11/16 tall blade by 3/16 thick
AXA is 1/2 by .040

To part a 4" piece you'd need 2" extended which is a fairly tall order for either but I'd rather the 11/16" blade or better yet an insert blade and holder. I'd probably only part 1" deep even with the wider tool because it is difficult for the chips to clear beyond that.

You can get around most anything with the AXA or I would have HAD to go with a BXA. One of these days I'll run across another machine shop liquidating and change it to BXA I just didn't want to have to buy all new tool holders.

The only point I am putting forward is if you have no reason to settle for an AXA size QCTP go with the BXA size on a 12" lathe.

Steve

Thanks! That helps! I am truely a newbie at this and trying to glean all the info I can from the forums so I dont kill myself or wreck my machines! :thinking: Every bit of information that you experienced guys give to us newbies is very appreciated!:))

On the A or B mounts do you have to modify anything to get them to fit the HF machine?

Last edited:
Back