QCTP Question HF 12x36"

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
Question for you all, recently I was able to pick up a used 12x36" HF lathe. It currently has the 4 sided tool post holder that it came with, I would like to upgrade it to a QCTP. I have been reading and was wondering what the difference is on the Piston Style and Wedge Style and what the advantages are to either if any? I am mainly working with mild steels so far. TIA!

I have the Grizzly version of that lathe. An AXA QCTP fits it perfectly.

The difference between piston and wedge is this:

1) The piston type is cheaper, but doesn't draw the toolholder down against the top lock nut so it doesn't repeat quite as well.
2) The wedge type is a bit more rigid and will repeat better if you remove and replace the toolholder.

For HSM use, IMHO, the route you go is purely a financial decision. If money is no object, the Aloris is the Cadillac. Phase II is a step down, and the generic imports are exactly the same in design as the Phase II but fit and finish isn't quite as good. I am using an import version and it works just fine. All are cross compatible.

John

I thought the axa was only good for Up to12". It holds 1/2 tooling? I just didn't want to get too small of one.

Last edited:
I thought the axa was only good for Up to12". It holds 1/2 tooling? I just didn't want to get too small of one.

The AXA holds 1/2" tooling no problem. That's the size holders I use with carbide inserts. I

have no idea how they manufacturers come up with those figures for lathe swing. It really depends on the height of the compound rest vs the lathe cenetrline. The AXA is a perfect fit for my Grizzly G4003. In fact it came with a piston type holder that I upgraded to a wedge type. My 4003 is virtually identical to your HF, yes?

g4003.jpg

You'll be fine with the AXA's. We use the AXA's at work too - on all our Monarch 10EEs (12 swing) and a big Nardini Mascote 14x40"

John

g4003.jpg

Yep, mine is the same. Thanks for the info, I had discarded the axa but will give it a new look!

I would recommend a BXA. I have a 12x36 (older '80s model) Mine has an AXA simply because I had one on the 9x20 and didn't want to buy holders again. Either will work fine but the BXA will hold the inserted parting sets without milling the slots since they start at 5/8". The parting holder that comes with the BXA is a lot less toyish and holds a more suitable blade for this class. I've used both on 12x36 lathes and would go BXA without a compelling reason for AXA.

In a nutshell you are not likely to buy a smaller lathe in the future and a bxa will work very well indeed. No point in starting at the min. size since there is only a couple $ difference in price. Nothing you can't overcome but...

Steve

Parting has been something I have wanted to do but havent pursued. 5/8" is the smallest parting blade?

They come smaller. My AXA holders use a 1/2" blade. FWIW, I'd prefer a 5/8 or 3/4 blade. I find a 3/32 wide blade suits the lathe's rigidity best.

If your HF works as well as my Grizzly, you'll be a happy guy! BTW, the headstock is adjustable if you find she cuts a taper after proper leveling. It's a bit of a juggle to do and the manual says nothing about the ability to make this adjustment.

John

Ok, great info, thanks! Can you share how to set it up straight since its not in the manual?

Back