QCTP on a Small Lathe

The existing boss (not a bushing) will go inside the toolpost. What so you want to see in the way of photos? I took 3; here are the others.

IMG_6086.JPG
IMG_6088.JPG

The last photo shows how thin the slide is in the dovetail.

The existing boss (not a bushing) will go inside the toolpost. What so you want to see in the way of photos? I took 3; here are the others.

View attachment 479001View attachment 479002
mill the compound off flat then drill and tap for a properly sized stud.
no T-slot needed
or bore a recess out of the bottom of the QCTP
or get some additional 4-ways and sub them like tool holders

I recently installed an AXA size QCTP on a Shop Fox M1049 lathe. For reference, I purchased the tool post kit from Precision Matthews.

I installed mine by pressing out the stock tool post bolt, then drilled and tapped the hole in the compound to accept the M14x1.25 tool post bolt.
I didn't have the correct size tap so I bought one for $11 at a local NAPA Auto Parts.

When I was done, I drilled (9/16") the original 4-way tool post to fit the 14mm post on the quick change.

mill the compound off flat then drill and tap for a properly sized stud.
no T-slot needed
or bore a recess out of the bottom of the QCTP
or get some additional 4-ways and sub them like tool holders
The compound is too thin to mill off the boss. I was expecting to bore out the bottom of the QCTP. More 4 ways isn't a great solution. Since they bought the lathe from Grainger I'm expecting parts availability to be nil.

I recently installed an AXA size QCTP on a Shop Fox M1049 lathe. For reference, I purchased the tool post kit from Precision Matthews.

I installed mine by pressing out the stock tool post bolt, then drilled and tapped the hole in the compound to accept the M14x1.25 tool post bolt.
I didn't have the correct size tap so I bought one for $11 at a local NAPA Auto Parts.

When I was done, I drilled (9/16") the original 4-way tool post to fit the 14mm post on the quick change.
Thanks! It's great to hear from someone that has actually done this. I finally drilled down deep enough on the Little Machine Shop website and found a similar solution only the guy used hardware store grade stamped washers to raise the QCTP above the boss. UGH! He thought they were flat enough; not something I would do. Never thought of NAPA as a source of inexpensive taps. Great tip!

I was expecting to bore out the bottom of the QCTP.
My QCTPs (I have both OXA and AXA on different lathes) both have a 'core' tube that holds everything together. That tube is threaded (LH thread, BTW) for only the last couple of cm at the bottom. So boring out the QCTP may not be a good option. I'll go and grab a pic for you..IMG_1203.JPG

Oh, that's not good! I finally heard back from LMS but need to measure the boss on the compound to get better answers. Thanks.

Oh, that's not good! I finally heard back from LMS but need to measure the boss on the compound to get better answers. Thanks.
Perhaps swap the compound for a block (plinth) while you work out alternatives? I'm a beginner, so I never want to do much alteration on the original parts of my machines. But raising the QCTP wouldn't be my first choice, either.

The guys that will be using this have no machining experience so I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Back