QCTP on a Small Lathe

David2011

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking for help from those of you that have done this. The guys at the battleship (USS Texas) bought a Dayton 10" x 22" bench lathe. Why they bought such a light machine has to do with how they could make purchases being under the umbrella of the State of Texas. It's much lighter than the same sized Grizzly G0602 and doesn't have a T slot in the compound. Almost immediately they decided that they need a QCTP and I'm not 100% sure how to advise them. It looks like Little Machine Shop has some possible solutions but I wanted to get advice here. The compound has a fixed stud that's 10mm x 63mm tall.

IMG_6087.JPG

First off, measure the height from the top of the compound to the centerline of the spindle. That will dictate what size QCTP you can use. An AXA with 1/2" tools will require .940" or more, If you are planning on using 3/8" tooling, you can get by with 1/8" less. Secondly, is the mounting stud.. The mounting stud on my AXA, and presumably others, is 14mm and the QCTP sits flush with the top of the compound. You will have to modify the compound in order to fit an AXA or OXA QCTP.

Dayton? I wasn't aware of a bench lathe with that name
What is that bracket thing on the compound?

First off, measure the height from the top of the compound to the centerline of the spindle. That will dictate what size QCTP you can use. An AXA with 1/2" tools will require .940" or more, If you are planning on using 3/8" tooling, you can get by with 1/8" less. Secondly, is the mounting stud.. The mounting stud on my AXA, and presumably others, is 14mm and the QCTP sits flush with the top of the compound. You will have to modify the compound in order to fit an AXA or OXA QCTP.
Sorry; I should have stated that it needs an OXA. The tooling they use will be dictated by the toolpost they have to use. I'm not planning on using the lathe at all; just trying to round up information. What modification would you suggest to the compound? Is this something that you have done for one of these small lathes? As I mentioned initially, this is a very small lathe for the listed swing. Its mass is more like an 8" mini.

Wow! It is amazing what can happen when the bean counters are in control. A Grizzly G0602 could have been purchased for a little over half of what Grainger got and a PM 1022 for significantly less than Grainger. I have had several experiences with approved vendor lists, non of them good.

As to modifications of the compound, it looks like you will have to modify or remove the bushing on top. If you luck out, the OXA tool post will use the same size stud as the OEM. Were it my lathe, I would lose the guard on the compound and probably the one over the chuck as well. Actually if it were my lathe, I would unload it as quickly as possible.

Removing the boss isn't an option. There isn't enough metal to cut a T slot. Not my lathe so it's up to the guys that will use it what to do with the guards. OTOH, I made something out of mystery metal a few months back and had to shield myself from chips with cardboard. It was slinging really hot chips everywhere. Yeah, it would never have been my lathe. I tried to talk them out of it and go with a different brand but they didn't want to go through the hoops to get approval from the Battleship Texas Foundation board of directors and satisfy the state's requirements. They could have spent far less for something better and easier to use. For myself, I'm trying to arrange for a trailer to move a new-to-me Victor 1340 into my shop today.

Waiting now for a response from Little Machine Shop. It looks like they might have a stud mount option for an OXA toolpost.

Removing the boss isn't an option. There isn't enough metal to cut a T slot. Not my lathe so it's up to the guys that will use it what to do with the guards. OTOH, I made something out of mystery metal a few months back and had to shield myself from chips with cardboard. It was slinging really hot chips everywhere. Yeah, it would never have been my lathe. I tried to talk them out of it and go with a different brand but they didn't want to go through the hoops to get approval from the Battleship Texas Foundation board of directors and satisfy the state's requirements. They could have spent far less for something better and easier to use. For myself, I'm trying to arrange for a trailer to move a new-to-me Victor 1340 into my shop today.
You don't need a T slot. Use or modify the existing stud. If you don't remove the bushing, the only other option is to make a washer to take up the height of the bushing. That is not desirable for several reasons. You lose precious height adjustment on the QCTP and you would lose rigidity, both of which are already compromised on this lathe.

As to how to make the modification, without a better photos, exploded parts views, etc., exactly hard to proceed is difficult to say.

Back