Pros and Cons of geared head and variable speed

Really useful discussion at this link. No point in rehashing it.

Upshot is I'll likely go with the PM-833-TV

I have sold my RF-40 round-column ENCO clone and committed to purchase of a new square column bench-top. I am purely a hobbiest, doing this for fun. The enjoyment of precision work, planning order of operations and tinkering with set-ups are ends in themselves. I have no plans for CNC type machines. The mill will be paired with my Enco 13x40 lathe.

I am looking very closely at the PM-833T or PM-833TV as these offer a large working volume (large Y travel) and X and Z power feeds. Z power feed became a thing with me recently as I strained my shoulder cranking the head up on the Enco.

I just bought the steel to make a stand but have not cut any metal yet. I am delaying a mill purchase until August as we will be out of town for a while.

-> THE POINT OF THIS POST is to discuss geared-head versus variable speed and to let you folks draw my attention to some other machine.

I don’t want to belabor the point as several others, as well as PM’s website, have detailed the high speed, up to 3200 RPM, benefits of the “TV” coming at cost of low RPM power and torque whereas the “T” offers max power and torque throughout the 60-1500 RPM range. But, really, the belt drive “TV” is only twice the RPM of the geared head “T”. Frankly, the Enco topped out at 1970 RPM and I never felt limited in speed, we’ll not discuss rigidity or the round column of that machine. Am I missing something here? Talk me into a “TV” for duffer manual milling of whatever random project I dream up. Some project examples are making a solid-block tool post to replace the compound on the lathe and and converting a Mercedes distributor for modern electronic ignition control by toothed-wheel crankshaft position sensing. I’ll likely have to make the toothed wheel and other small parts for that as the best size is not sold as generic.

To help me visualize the performance envelopes of the 2 machines I found a table of spindle RPM for milling various materials at:
https://www.etantdonnes.com/MACHINE/TABLES/cuttingSpeeds.html

Then I overlayed two lines in red at roughly 1500 and 3000 RPM to show what the additional speed of the “TV” enables. The upper line is set on 1500 RPM and the lower line is 3000 RPM. It shows that only at cutter sizes below ½-inch, and then only for brass, bronze, and aluminum is the geared-head mill not able to hit the RPM in the table. Basically, for these materials and small cutters the geared head would just be run slower. Any issues here?

As I write this I am nudging myself off the fence and over to the geared-head machine.
I originally wanted a gear head PM940M-PDF, but PM told me it would likely be 6 months to a year before they would have one so I opted for a PM932M-PDF; then, they kept pushing the delivery back and I finally asked if they had a mill I might be interested in that I could get quicker and the reply was, we have a PM940V-PDF that recently came in so I spent the extra money and took it as it was very close what I originally wanted. I was a bit concerned about the same issue you are looking at for the variable speed belt drive but those concerns have proven unfounded, the mill has plenty of power through its full RPM range and I leave it on the upper range pulleys which gives me 350 to 5000 RPM and will drive my 3" face mill at a depth of .060 through steel without much effort, I have run the same face mill cutting 2" wide .300 deep cut through aluminum without the machine breaking a sweat.

I honestly do not know much about the Taiwanese machines other than most folks believe them to be a bit better quality, my machine is Chinese and I have heard good and bad about both on this forum. I have been pleased with my mill and happy with the service from Precision Mathews.

I hope this is helpful.

Reactions: B2
Well.. I went on vacation and ordered a PM-833TV upon return.
I have created a new thread with the unload and install adventure. Here it is.

Back