Property Tax Rates by state!

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I like to check property values when we travel. We are heading to South Carolina in the Spring, just for fun.

I noticed SC has a property tax rate of .52%. !!! Not bad.
Maryland .99%
New Jersey 2.23%
California 1%

A $500,000 appraised value home =

SC -$2,600
Maryland $4,950
New Jersey $11,150
California $5,000

For those who have a mortgage and an impound account, the New Jersey property would add $929 a month to your payment!!

My wife and I are very fortunate in that we have no debt. It's hard enough to cough up the $3,400 a year for property tax.
We lucked out when we lost our home in Paradise, the county allowed us to adopt our Paradise property tax plus 10%. Otherwise we would be over $5,000 a year.

Yes we pay $4.25 for a gallon of gas where other states are now paying less than $3.00.

The point of this thread, I think it would be interesting to discuss the related costs of living in the states of our choice and why.
In our case, our kids, grandchildren, friends and extended family live in California for the most part. And the weather is pretty darn good.

This is for the state of New York!!

Property Tax Rates for Tax Year 2024​

• Class 1 - 20.085%
  • Class 2 - 12.502%
  • Class 3 - 12.094%
  • Class 4 - 10.592%
Anybody know about the class system??

The tax rate for Arena township, Iowa county, Wisconsin is 1.6%.

Our state does not have property tax. Counties set their own rates. Ours just went up about 40% this year. Approx. $900 last year, Approx. $1200 this year. Varies greatly by county. I have 60 something acres unimproved in another county $330.
Ours is based on 25 % of the appraised value. That may be what you call class system.

I like to check property values when we travel. We are heading to South Carolina in the Spring, just for fun.

I noticed SC has a property tax rate of .52%. !!! Not bad.
Maryland .99%
New Jersey 2.23%
California 1%

A $500,000 appraised value home =

SC -$2,600
Maryland $4,950
New Jersey $11,150
California $5,000

For those who have a mortgage and an impound account, the New Jersey property would add $929 a month to your payment!!

My wife and I are very fortunate in that we have no debt. It's hard enough to cough up the $3,400 a year for property tax.
We lucked out when we lost our home in Paradise, the county allowed us to adopt our Paradise property tax plus 10%. Otherwise we would be over $5,000 a year.

Yes we pay $4.25 for a gallon of gas where other states are now paying less than $3.00.

The point of this thread, I think it would be interesting to discuss the related costs of living in the states of our choice and why.
In our case, our kids, grandchildren, friends and extended family live in California for the most part. And the weather is pretty darn good.

This is for the state of New York!!

Property Tax Rates for Tax Year 2024​

• Class 1 - 20.085%
  • Class 2 - 12.502%
  • Class 3 - 12.094%
  • Class 4 - 10.592%
Anybody know about the class system??

It looks like the PT range is New Jersey @ 2.46% to Hawaii @ .29%!!

I really can't complain. On two 15 acre parcels with two homes I paid $1800 last year. It will be higher this year due to the crazy real estate market. Our taxes are reduced by 50% at age 65 on your primary residence, and you know to ask for it. If you live in Steamboat proper it's another story completely. Taxes there are extremely high, but that seems to be the norm for tourist towns. Mike

Routt County, Colorado Property Tax
[Go To Different County]
Routt Personal Property Tax Rate
$1,517.00
Avg. 0.36% of home value
Yearly median tax in Routt County

The median property tax in Routt County, Colorado is $1,517 per year for a home worth the median value of $422,300. Routt County collects, on average, 0.36% of a property's assessed fair market value as property tax.

Routt County has one of the highest median property taxes in the United States, and is ranked 760th of the 3143 counties in order of median property taxes.

New York is very expensive . My taxes and everything else up there are a hair under $2000 for 45 acres . My buddy payed next to nothing as he was over 65 and was a resident . New York LOVES out of state property owners . :rolleyes: South Carolina is pretty cheap unless you're on the coast . Myrtle Beach and Surfside houses/ condos are out of this world . We were bidding on a second row house at Surfside Beach 10 years ago before I lost my job . The monthly taxes , insurance and HOA fees were $1200 a month . Inland I'm sure are a lot less . You can still purchase very nice places in towns such as Conway and be an hour from the beach . We havent missed our vacation at Surfside in 49 years now . The tax bill from New York is the first piece of mail I receive every new year . They collect their $$$ like clockwork . Md and Pa are about the same when adding things up . Many Marylanders have migrated to Pa over the years for cheaper taxes only to find out Pa taxes everything . It equals out pretty much . My 2 places here are about $6300 between the 2 properties .

Here in CT, your property tax is set by the town you live in, the lowest town is 1.1% and the highest town is Hartford at 7.4% of the assessed value. The confusing part is the assessed value is not what the house could sell for, each town uses a percentage of the value to set the assessed value every 5 years and the same house could have a drastically different assessed value in different towns. As an example, the assessed value of our house is about half the market value. When the next reassessment comes in, the town will look at the values of the houses and the amount of tax revenue required and will then calculate the assessment needed to provide that revenue.

To make matters worse here, cars are subject to property taxes every year as well. So what might look like a high tax rate already is actually worse when you add in your cars.

One thing that confounds rate comparisons, how aggressive your state/county is on assessment value.

Back