"proper" Way To Store Drills In An Index (?)

I don't know why my fellow hobbyist bad mouth Harbor Freight Twist drill. I have been using HF tools and accessories since they came to the USA., over twenty years ago. At first some of the tools were closer to junks than to good. But I continues to have the tools replaced when they were not good. Today, I have not had to back on warranty, guaranty, etc. etc. As for the drills I bought the Titanium Nitride Worrier 29 bit set item # 61637, on sale for $9.99. They are so good I went and bought three more sets to have near each of my machines in the shop. They are great.
See, that what happens when people see good low prices on items and they then call them cheap junk, (sick) I can't complain, just praise. I have seen the same tools and accessories in different catalogues, same product, same manufacturer but at twice or thrice the price.

I do like the bit first and shank up in the indexer. Save those minor cuts from the bit edge. I went and turned all my bits around. Thanks for the excellent tip.

Shanks up, cutting edge down. I saw a dude open up the palm of his right hand trying to stop his drill index from falling off his eork cart. An AH-HA moment for me.

If u have ever used a cordless keylessndrill chuck and cheap bits in steel u will definitely get
Burrs on some shanks but if your talking drilling with a sharp quality bit on a well secured piece on a press / mill / lathe then no burrs

Carbide drill bits are more difficult to raise burrs on. Harder than the index. Buy some. Problem solved.

I point mine in all directions. I have a Huot rollaway and top box and a couple of drawers are dedicated to used drills. I toss them in at random, and paw through them to find one suitable for the task at hand. New stock stays in the envelope they come in, usually either 6 or 12 pc until they get used, then into the rollaway drawer. Been that way for years. Never a cut or a problem with burrs on shanks. I don't quite get that anyway. That means your chuck jaws are not getting a good grip, a problem to be solved or you're grabbing when you break through uncontrollably and spinning them. You jaws ought to be hard enough and sharp enough to get a grip.

I remember a member here posted how, (forget who) he put every 4th? bit in his index upside down to make it easier to find each 1/8th. Now what would he do?

Cheers Phil

Good drill are shank down. If they need attention (sharpening, burr stoned off, etc.) they are shank up.

Back