"proper" Way To Store Drills In An Index (?)

Yes, that's me. Toss the drills on the bench. Can't stop - in a hurry. I'll sort them out later. When I do put them back in the index its sharp end up so I can inspect them when I do a drill sharpening day - except the ones that were lost.

Good quality full polished bits and brad point style bits are sharp enough to get you.
Black oxide, partially ground ones - not so much.
I was staring at my 'used' drill bit collection today thinking that I either have to learn how to sharpen them
or put a drill bit sharpener on my wish list.

One has to ask? - why do they come from the factory, flutes up? Gotta be a reason, surely? :confused 2:

There's two things that bug me more, than the "flutes up/flutes down" question.

1. Why do drill manufacturers insist on engraving sizes on drills with such minimal-depth engraving, that the size is difficult to see - and the size engravure disappears with the first half-spin of a drill in the chuck!
Surely they can install size engraving with a little more depth and clarity without compromising shank strength?
After all, the flutes take out half of the shank thickness, anyway - what damage would a little more engraving depth do to a shank?

2. Why does Huot insist on manufacturing drill boxes with the lid hinge on the right, and the largest drills to the front, and the smallest drills to the rear??

My fine set of Huot cobalt drills constantly annoys me whenever I open the box. The reason being, down here in the underworld, our locally-produced drill sets have the box lid hinge on the left and the smaller drills at the front, with the larger drills at the rear. This seems like a logical layout to me.
But anytime I go to open my Huot drill box, it's like jumping into my car and finding the steering wheel has moved to the other side!! :D

Do all you guys in the upper world run everything back to front?? I mean to say - your steering wheels are on the left, you drive on the right, you change gears with your right hand - and you open your drill boxes from the wrong side! :D
Do all your lathes have the chuck on the right, and you run your saddle from left to right, as well?? :D

Shank up for frequently used bits, shank down for bits I seldom reach for. That makes life easier when I reach into the index - it's really easy to spot which bits are which without squwunching up my eyes to read that tiny embossing in the box.

One has to ask? - why do they come from the factory, flutes up? Gotta be a reason, surely? :confused 2:

There's two things that bug me more, than the "flutes up/flutes down" question.

1. Why do drill manufacturers insist on engraving sizes on drills with such minimal-depth engraving, that the size is difficult to see - and the size engravure disappears with the first half-spin of a drill in the chuck!
Surely they can install size engraving with a little more depth and clarity without compromising shank strength?
After all, the flutes take out half of the shank thickness, anyway - what damage would a little more engraving depth do to a shank?

2. Why does Huot insist on manufacturing drill boxes with the lid hinge on the right, and the largest drills to the front, and the smallest drills to the rear??

My fine set of Huot cobalt drills constantly annoys me whenever I open the box. The reason being, down here in the underworld, our locally-produced drill sets have the box lid hinge on the left and the smaller drills at the front, with the larger drills at the rear. This seems like a logical layout to me.
But anytime I go to open my Huot drill box, it's like jumping into my car and finding the steering wheel has moved to the other side!! :D

Do all you guys in the upper world run everything back to front?? I mean to say - your steering wheels are on the left, you drive on the right, you change gears with your right hand - and you open your drill boxes from the wrong side! :D
Do all your lathes have the chuck on the right, and you run your saddle from left to right, as well?? :D

Ya, that seems backwards - but the little ones will fall out inside the box if they were different? Worse problem is some young 'un in the shop who doesn't seem to think it important to put the right bit in the correct hole. NO! That's just asking for trouble. Also, with the flutes up, you can instantly recognize the condition of the bits. If the job requires a really sharp one, I can choose by looking first. And I agree about the big Hout drawer index, those are nice. Found number and letter sets, with drawers and a little rust, and even with some drills in it on Ebay for less than a decent new small one. Btw, I chuckled at dumping the Harbor Fright bits in the trash.

When I use a drill bit, I like to return it to the index holder "face down." That way, I can easily identify the unused, sharp bits which have the sharp edges up.

080.jpg

And, I agree, used bits can have burs that make it hard to stick 'em back flutes up.

I agree with you Frank, I store used bits Shank up, unused as they come when bought. Seems that's just two of us unless I have missed one.
John B

080.jpg

080.jpg

080.jpg

080.jpg

080.jpg

I do both. In a job shop where multiple people use multiple indexes, by practices if the drill was used before putting back in the index and was not inspected before putting back in the index (touched up, resharpened, deburred, etc.) it would go flute down. If it was inspected before putting back in the index it goes flute up. Then when any of the machinists or users have filler work needed the indexes are looked at for bringing drills to 100%. This is neither right nor wrong and in my opinion it is what ever feels comfortable for the user.

One has to ask? - why do they come from the factory, flutes up? Gotta be a reason, surely?

They come "flutes up" because it looks prettier on the store shelves of course!

:)

Back to front?

Meh; toe-may- toe / toe-mah-toe.

You guys have steering wheels on the right but drive on the left, etc.

My drill boxes hinge on the left or from the top though....;)

I store my drill bits shank down. In this way if you have a bit with a burr on the shank you'll know it as it won't go back into the box. Then you can dress off the burr and put it away.

Back