Project Ideas that would engage my wife

turbotadd

Active User
Registered
So I love making and fixing stuff, and I love my wife and enjoy spending time with her.
I've got a garage full of tools, and I would like for my wife to become more aware of what they (and I) can do so eventually she can come up with some ideas that I/we can make together. Last winter we made a handful of wooden Adirondack chairs, and she enjoyed working with me on that project. If I can get her excited about metalworking, we could spend more time together working on projects for both of our enjoyment. Unfortunately pinterest isn't helping much, so I turn to my fellow hobby machinists. Anybody have a similar experience?
Bring on the ideas.
Thanks!

Tadd

So I love making and fixing stuff, and I love my wife and enjoy spending time with her.
I've got a garage full of tools, and I would like for my wife to become more aware of what they (and I) can do so eventually she can come up with some ideas that I/we can make together. Last winter we made a handful of wooden Adirondack chairs, and she enjoyed working with me on that project. If I can get her excited about metalworking, we could spend more time together working on projects for both of our enjoyment. Unfortunately pinterest isn't helping much, so I turn to my fellow hobby machinists. Anybody have a similar experience?
Bring on the ideas.
Thanks!

Tadd

Stainless steel jewelery... It's the rage these days.

Question: If you're married already, that means you got engaged once before. How many times are you supposed to engage the same person? That first go-around I had was a doozie and don't know if I can take any more :).

Ray

You might wan't to rethink thet. By freind thought it would be a good idea to get his wife in to shooting with him.:panic: Problem was she liked it so much she took claim to his 2 faverot guns and He isn't alowed to shoot them enymore.:roflmao:

Make some rings, really simple, and can last a lifetime.

But don't make them out of copper of brass. Copper and brass when corroded (green) is poisonous and can make you very sick, or even kill you.

I also am trying to get my wife interested in metal projects. I made a couple of copper sheet pieces (a leaf and an abstract sculpture incorporating a heart) to get her attention. I plan on doing some spinning of small bowls that she can decorate, etch, scribe and incorporate into whatever she feels like. She liked it.

If you have a lathe, wooden pens are fun. We made a bunch a couple years ago. I also find jewelry work interesting (copper and silver), but YMMV.

I also am trying to get my wife interested in metal projects. I made a couple of copper sheet pieces (a leaf and an abstract sculpture incorporating a heart) to get her attention. I plan on doing some spinning of small bowls that she can decorate, etch, scribe and incorporate into whatever she feels like. She liked it.

Have you thought about electrochemical etching to design metal? Making a machine to etch tools is on my list, about halfway done.

I vote for the restoration of antiques. Women dig old stuff and much of it sells quite high if tastefully refurbished or turned into antique-shique art.

Don't be too worried if she doesn't get into the same hobby as you though. I believe that it is important to have different intersts and that a little time apart is actually quite healthy.

It seems to be working for me - 11 years married and counting.

Paul.

No particular project in mind but my wife appreciated the handy knicknacks etc, and was impressed by working to fine tolerances. I was amazed by her needlecraft, knitting skills, gourmet cooking and much more. It all lasted for 55 years.

Have a good day

Ray

I'm trying to get her started on a muzzle loading long rifle. Her idea I'm just trying to jump start it. Been busy winter and its not happening yet. Its not going to be a lot of machine work but hand work. I know what your thinking for sure but this is best I have come up with. Keep us posted.

Back