Project: drill press depth stop Canadian buffalo 15

It's an inside joke between a friend and me. This is the first part I ever built for someone else. OSS stand for Original Steve S(lastname) a play on OEM.

Serial #? :LOL:

That is a really nice job of posting all of the detailed pics. :thumbsup: Thank you.

Nice work - the depth stop on my RF-30 clone mill / drill has something similar, except it turns in a bushing and adjusts the height of the nut on an acme threaded rod. It is really too loose to hold a setting, so I'm thinking of modifying it to something more like this - I appreciate the link to the quick adjust nuts - I had seen some for knee mills (B-port clones) but had not gone looking for generic ones - they could be handy in other applications as well! Thanks for some ideas!

Dan

Ah, well now that makes perfect sense, now I understand. You did a smashing job on the rest though!

If I had a mill I would have done that. Last time I tried to end mill on my drill press I pulled the chuck off.

Still searching for my first mill, needs to be a smaller one and needs to be in the $500 range. I'm just a hobbyist.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I have seen those nuts before but I made the piece for a friend for $30 and to gain experience. Part of the experience is the knurl, maybe I can try to make one of those nuts someday.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and appreciation. I hatily posted this thread to test out the 'project' idea being floated. This thread has had many views and a few comments and suggestions. It's what I think a project thread should be. Something that takes you some elapsed time and if your lucky enough to document it then it's perfect for a project post.

I am working on another project post, much of it a youtube video/videos, not yet sure how I will present it. I've already put up some of the youtubes when I did the project, but I am doing a re-edit and will form a large project post. It's for a cam lock drill press pulley block to add a 3rd pulley to my atlas lathe to get 100rpm speeds. All done on the lathe.

Again, thanks to all that viewed and commented on this project.

I think I got that vice at Princess Auto here in Ontario. I'm sure you can get them at a harbour freight or the like.

Can I ask where you got this vise? I have been looking at getting one to use on my drill press. Project looks great, I am really impressed at what you are able to do without a mill.

Schor,
Nice work! I need at least 2 of those.
And I agree with you, that it is what a project thread should be.
Thanks, Larry

Your first three pictures are broken links to me. But it sounds like an interesting idea, I have a 5 speed drill press, and it didn't have a depth stop when I got it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Terry

I thought it just my computer not liking his photos. The rest of his photos show a nice looking project for his drill press. I have a HF bench top drill press and could use a column locking clamp to hold the spindle in place when tapping.

- - - Updated - - -

Beautiful work! The knurled nuts do look nice ... BUT ... I've found them to be a bit slow when it comes time to make large adjustments. I have a drill press with a similar setup, and I replaced the original nuts with pushbutton quick-threading nuts. I use the 3/8-16 plain hex nuts (McMaster-Carr 98150A150), and can even use the hex flats for fine adjustments ... 1/6 turn (1 flat) = .010" (approx.)

McMaster sells these in sizes from 1/4" to 5/8":

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/3177/=p661ay

The same could be said about adjusting depth stops on Bridgeport style knee mills. I used a milling machine that had quick release nuts. Made setup much faster.

Back