Problems with first steel cut on 1130v lathe

We probably have all tried these things on rusted materials. The rusted surface will always limit what you can accomplish, especially if you are changing the chuck grip between operations .... the rusted surface varies at different positions so each time you re-grip on the rust the rod locations/angles are different. I have worked on rods where the rust is not nearly as uniform as yours appears to be. Some Hints.

1) Before making adjustments to the lathe make sure the material you are using grips correctly in the chuck etc. This cannot be possible if the surface is rough, rusted (or the rod it bent). If you adjust the lathe using bad materials, cuts, or with poor instruments it is likely that the lathe will be aligned even worse that before.

2) Carriage locks are required for accurate cuts. Depending upon tool position, the cutting can either pull or push the tool point causing variations in the surface..... Especially, when hitting rusty spots it will vary. (even when the cutting point is on the center line) Hence, use carriage locks and make a rough pass cut to remove all rust before trying to make a good cut. With out the locks you can commonly see or even feel the cross cut position moving as you are surfacing.

As a first pass to try to make the work piece a bit better (round and straight) I would chuck it up with a sufficient amount extending out to removed rust so that you can re-grip it in the chuck on the fresh surface .... this is so that it can be center drilled while the clean surface is chucked without hitting the rusty surface with the chuck. Even this will not necessarily be perfect as the first surfacing may have created an oval cross-section (due to the rust grip). Now center drill. Extend the rod, and using the tail stock center to define the work surface position, clear some more rust off..... And resurface the clean surface at the tail stock. (If the stock is too short or is very thick-stiff, the tail stock point will not define the work surface position.) This later step should make most of an oval into a circle/round rod at this end(only). Now reverse the rod and grip the cleaned/fresh surface near the center drilled end (make sure the chuck grip is cleaned of debris or rust materials). Since the full length of the rod is now extended out you can try to make a surface cut down the length you plan to work with ..... or of the whole rod without using the tail stock to center things. This should get you a work piece which is mostly round and with limited taper... if your lathe head stock/chuck is aligned to the lathe bed. At least now you have a better "starting" material.

Oh, yes, since you have a good level in hand, check out the lathe bed before you even begin. While it would be nice and would make life easier, it does not have to be level end to end, but must not be twisted. If it is twisted you should fix the leveling feed to remove the twist before anything else. If it is not level end to end then the head stock may not be parallel with the bed, especially if there are separate leveling feet for the head stock and the bed. Non-parallel head stock/chuck grip or a twisted bed can result in a tapper cut.

One last thing. I cannot tell the radius of your cutter point, but if the cutting tool point is too sharp and you come at it straight on you will be cutting threads rather than getting a smooth surface.

Having fun!

Perhaps a pic showing the tool and how it is set up on the lathe? I might help to review the HSS model tools thread in the beginner forum to compare your tools to the photos at least. It might help ensure your pre-ground tools will cut, though I expect they are fine.

For the shifting while cutting, you need to ensure everything other than the axis you are trying to move is locked down, at least to start with. I would also suggest adjusting the gibs, they are probably loose from shipping.

When starting out, mystery metal isn't a great idea. It can be nearly anything. Getting used to speeds and feeds can be tricky enough without unknown metal in the machine. 12L14 and aluminum are good to start with.

For alignment, start with the 2-collar test. There are some links below to a couple of alignment options. Ignore the precision level bit, unless you really want your machine level to ground for some reason. It doesn't matter to the machine as long as it's straight to itself. If you have one it can speed up the process, but I wouldn't buy one for this.

Hmmm, links don’t work. “Access denied”

To B2's point about rust, If the stock is rusted I usually chuck up one end and run some 40 or 60 grit emery cloth over a section long enough for the chuck to get a good hold on. Then I remove it from the chuck and clean the jaws with a paint brush. When I'm satisfied there's no junk in the jaws I put the cleaned section in the jaws and snug them down. I most often use a 4-jaw chuck so it's fairly easy to center the stock with a dial indicator. With clean stock it's easy to tell if it's bent or out of round.

Also be sure the radius on the cutting edge of the tool is at least 1 1/2 times the distance the tool moves with each revolution. An example would be that the cutting-edge radius should be a minimum of .006" if the carriage moves .004" per revolution. Any less than that will cause you to either cut threads or at the minimum leave tool marks.

Hmmm, links don’t work. “Access denied”
Those Google Drive links were posted by ttabbal (purportedly covering lathe alignment). I've seen many sets of instruction on how to do a two-collar test and was following the Blondihacks video on lathe alignment when I encountered my problems.

Here are two pics of the cutter, one from the top and one from the side.Please ignore the rusty cutting oil.

This piece is (was) being cut as a two-collar test article. I need to get a better cut before I can finish.

Strangely enough, my neighbor came by with a precision level (the 12" Starett!) and told me I can keep it for now. I get the impression that he's never used it. I'm also building/printing a DIY version and the precision $10 vial I ordered from Ali has made it to the US.

Is there a definitive/best site that describes gib adjustment for PM lathes in my size range (PM-1130v)?
As to the level; with the Starrett levels, there are two part numbers, one is .005" per foot per graduation, the other, they call a Master Precision Level, graduated in .0005 per ft per graduation,: the lesser graduation will not have the sensitivity to properly level a lathe to cut straight, it will show perfect leveling with a perfectly centered bubble, but still it will not be close enough for final lathe leveling purposes, it will get you close enough to use a precision level for final leveling; it can be a PITA to start with a precision level, having to wait for the bubble to settle down.. I have leveled and aligned many lathes, large and small, and know whereof I speak.

In the end, the two collar test is definitive in lathe alignment, and leveling is not really necessary, except in the case of large lathes with more than two legs.

The center hole should generally be drilled with the stock sticking out not when it's only just poking out the chuck , the material won't be strait and you will get flex some ware, for me you can normally see the live center flexing.

Stu

Here are two pics of the cutter, one from the top and one from the side.Please ignore the rusty cutting oil.
Looking at pictures is always a little challenging to be sure, but it looks to me like the tip of your cutting tool has been destroyed. That would be consistent with only cutting some small distance before "rubbing".
When cutting in rusty metal or HRS scale, you want to slow your RPM down quite a bit to get any tool life on that initial cut. Possibly as low as 60-80 FPM. 20 thou depth of cut or more, depending on what your lathe motor will handle. Really you are trying to get down to clean metal all the way around in one cut, but how deep of a cut that takes depends on how well centered and round your stock is. Or just sand/grind the shaft clean first as others have mentioned. Just remember to protect the ways on your lathe so they don't get saturated in abrasive residue.

Random (mystery) metal may also have been hardened (like the printer shaft). That can play havoc with HSS. Learn to use a file as a basic hardness test, a file will easily cut in soft metal, and will skate across hardened metal without biting in. Some feel is involved so don't be afraid to try it on several pieces of steel to get an idea of how to judge.

I didn’t read everyone’s responses. But I think I have one thing to add. I’m addressing the specific OD turning operation where the tool began to cut, and then no longer cut. This sounds like backlash not properly accounted for. OR…the compound rest is insecurely mounted, or the compound rest backlash is not taken up.
This (backlash) could also be how you ended up with a high spot during facing.
Just a thought.

I didn’t read everyone’s responses. But I think I have one thing to add. I’m addressing the specific OD turning operation where the tool began to cut, and then no longer cut. This sounds like backlash not properly accounted for. OR…the compound rest is insecurely mounted, or the compound rest backlash is not taken up.
This (backlash) could also be how you ended up with a high spot during facing.
Just a thought.
How far does one need to turn "back" before moving forward to get rid of backlash. I'm familiar with the concept and I was going back perhaps 1/2 a turn on the slide before coming forward to end at the number I wanted. Is 1/3 to 1/2 turn far enough?

Back