Problems with first steel cut on 1130v lathe

rronald

Registered
Registered
Finally got the lathe in place. I tried checking to see if it was aligned, but didn't have much in the way of suitable stock.
My first try to see if it would cut straight was to use some 1/2" aluminum rod. That was a bad choice since the rod was bent :) I went to bed a bit depressed since everything seemed way off.

After sleeping on it, I realized that I needed something straight. I rolled the aluminum on the surface plate and saw it was not. The only other rod that happened to be around was an old 3d printer piece. Also 1/2", but designed to be a shaft. Chromed steel. And it rolled flat on the plate. So I chucked it up and made some measurements. I could indicate down a 15" length and was off by a few thousandths. I then got ambitions and shimmed under the tailstock and got it so that the 15" length was within a thousandth. I know this isn't the same as cutting w/o a taper, but I was still encouraged.

Finally, my neighbor showed up with some mystery stock. Some heavily rusted steel of about 1.4" in diameter. So we cut off a chunk on the hacksaw and prepared to do a test bar. Here's where things get problematic beyond my level of expertise. I attempted three operations. The first 2 had an inch of stick-out from the 8" long piece.

1) Facing to clean up the face
2) Center drilling
The part was pulled out 5" and a live center was installed in the center drill pocket.
3) A cleanup up pass over 5" of length

Center drilling worked fine.
But both the facing operation and the external cleanup pass had problems.

When the end was faced, I hand fed in and the cut seemed to work at the outer periphery. Chips looked OK. But at some point, the plane of the cut moved towards the tail by about 10 thousandths. There was clearly a concentric ring where the cutting action seemed "pushed" toward the tail. I persisted with a few additional cuts and eventually achieved a level (but rough) surface.

The cleanup pass of the OD had a similar issue. At the very start of the cut, the cutter was removing some metal. But, after a short distance (a few mm), the tool was just rubbing around the OD and not cutting. I adjusted in another 10 thousandths, and go it to cut the first 1/4". Went 15 thousandths deeper for cut 3, got perhaps an 1/2" of cutting. Went 20 thousandths deeper, got perhaps an inch before rubbing.

If I indicate down the bar (as seen in the picture), the shiny portion will move the indicator out about 10 thousandths. So the shiny part is tapered. But the rest of the bar is within 2 thousandths all the way to the chuck.

I have some 12L14 steel due to arrive tomorrow. I'm sure it's easier to cut than this steel. I've been using HSS pre-ground cutters from Little Machine Shop.....and imagine that they don't like the top surface on the mystery metal. So I am going to get some insert tooling. But I should be able to cut this stuff and it occurs to me that someone probably knows what I'm doing wrong. This seemed like a good time to ask for help.

CutvsRub.jpg

Carriage was unlocked during first facing cut, but locked after that. Still seemed to move. I even locked the cross slide during the OD cuts (after the first or 2nd attempt). Didn't seem to help much if at all.

Tool was adjusted on center line by alignment with point of center.

RPM for facing was started at ~250, but quickly adjusted to 500. RPM for OD cut was done at 400-430 (since oil seems to fling starting at about 450).

These are the first cutsI've done in about 40 years on a lathe. So anything above 20 thousandths is a bit scary. Is it reasonable/safe to do more to remove the oxide layer?

Rabler was a bit quicker than me, so I'll expand on his comments. Here's a quick method to center the tool on the workpiece. You might be off by a thousandth or two, but certainly close enough to do a cut.

Once you've done a rough setting on the height do a facing cut on a piece that hasn't been center drilled. Watch closely when you get near the center to see if you're leaving a nub. If there is a nub below the cutting edge lower the tool slightly. If there is a nub above the cutting edge raise the tool slightly.

Make sure the carriage is locked before starting the facing cut. If it isn't locked there's a good possibility it will back off as the tool moves toward the center of the workpiece. Also make sure the tool is securely locked in the holder and there is a minimum amount of stick out. Too much stick out will tend to leverage the tool away from the workpiece. It's best to have the tool entering the workpiece at an angle rather than straight on for both turning and facing.

Also keep in mind the maximum amount a workpiece should extend from the jaws of the chuck without being supported by a live center is 4 times it's diameter. Any more than that and there is a good possibility it will flex when the tool starts to cut. The farther from the cut the more the flex and the greater the taper.

Do you have a proper profile and good cutting edge on the tool?

Perhaps a pic showing the tool and how it is set up on the lathe? I might help to review the HSS model tools thread in the beginner forum to compare your tools to the photos at least. It might help ensure your pre-ground tools will cut, though I expect they are fine.

For the shifting while cutting, you need to ensure everything other than the axis you are trying to move is locked down, at least to start with. I would also suggest adjusting the gibs, they are probably loose from shipping.

When starting out, mystery metal isn't a great idea. It can be nearly anything. Getting used to speeds and feeds can be tricky enough without unknown metal in the machine. 12L14 and aluminum are good to start with.

For alignment, start with the 2-collar test. There are some links below to a couple of alignment options. Ignore the precision level bit, unless you really want your machine level to ground for some reason. It doesn't matter to the machine as long as it's straight to itself. If you have one it can speed up the process, but I wouldn't buy one for this.

Your difficulty in cutting the steel may be due to the fact that at 450 RPM, you are turning it way too fast, and presumably dulling the tool, at 100 FPM about the high limit for CRS or HR with HSS is about 250 RPM, and who knows what grade of HSS you have and where it came from (China)?.
Look for slide rule speed/feed calculators to help you in determining cutting speeds for diameters. My high school machine shop teacher used a simple formula for us to calculate cutting speeds, which was: cutting speed times by 4, divided by the dimeter of the moving part. In this case, cutting speed being about 100 FPM for steel for HSS, for carbide, about 250 FPM as a starting point.

Last edited:
I had times and divided transposed in my above post, I have corrected it.

Your cutting tool is probably to blame for any trouble you are having, it's responsible for most beginner's issues
Learn to grind HSS tools, it's a valuable skill to have

Your difficulty in cutting the steel may be due to the fact that at 450 RPM, you are turning it way too fast, and presumably dulling the tool, at 100 FPM about the high limit for CRS or HR with HSS is about 250 RPM, and who knows what grade of HSS you have and where it came from (China)?.
Look for slide rule speed/feed calculators to help you in determining cutting speeds for diameters. My high school machine shop teacher used a simple formula for us to calculate cutting speeds, which was: cutting speed times by 4, divided by the dimeter of the moving part. In this case, cutting speed being about 100 FPM for steel for HSS, for carbide, about 250 FPM as a starting point.
I don't think I'm "way" too fast. Maybe a little.

In the HSM software, plain high carbon steels show a rate of 112 FPM using HSS. Ordinary carbon steels show a rate of 165 FPM using HSS. With a 1.4 inch diameter, that's either 311 to 458 RPM. 400 to 430 seems almost reasonable, since I don't know the steel type.

I am grateful for your comment since it did push me to actually verify the cutting speed. And I'll also take a look at the feed rate, which I suspect may be further off.

Perhaps a pic showing the tool and how it is set up on the lathe? I might help to review the HSS model tools thread in the beginner forum to compare your tools to the photos at least. It might help ensure your pre-ground tools will cut, though I expect they are fine.

For the shifting while cutting, you need to ensure everything other than the axis you are trying to move is locked down, at least to start with. I would also suggest adjusting the gibs, they are probably loose from shipping.

When starting out, mystery metal isn't a great idea. It can be nearly anything. Getting used to speeds and feeds can be tricky enough without unknown metal in the machine. 12L14 and aluminum are good to start with.

For alignment, start with the 2-collar test. There are some links below to a couple of alignment options. Ignore the precision level bit, unless you really want your machine level to ground for some reason. It doesn't matter to the machine as long as it's straight to itself. If you have one it can speed up the process, but I wouldn't buy one for this.

Here are two pics of the cutter, one from the top and one from the side.Please ignore the rusty cutting oil.

This piece is (was) being cut as a two-collar test article. I need to get a better cut before I can finish.

Strangely enough, my neighbor came by with a precision level (the 12" Starett!) and told me I can keep it for now. I get the impression that he's never used it. I'm also building/printing a DIY version and the precision $10 vial I ordered from Ali has made it to the US.

Is there a definitive/best site that describes gib adjustment for PM lathes in my size range (PM-1130v)?

Attachments

• 20231012_085016.jpg
    20231012_085016.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20231012_084950.jpg
    20231012_084950.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Back