Prices on eBay Lately

Why do some sites like Shars sell things cheaper on eBay than on their site? I was looking at some carbide inserts the other day and they were the same price on eBay and their site but offered free shipping on eBay and $12 to ship from their site.Doesn't make sense to me with eBay fees.
That is something I encountered a lot, and still wonder. One would think they could do it cheaper on their own website.

Why do some sites like Shars sell things cheaper on eBay than on their site? I was looking at some carbide inserts the other day and they were the same price on eBay and their site but offered free shipping on eBay and $12 to ship from their site.Doesn't make sense to me with eBay fees.

I don't deal with Shars much because of their shipping costs, but I've found a few of the Sothern California dealers who also sell on eBay actually have slightly better prices at their own shop, and still offer free shipping over a certain price point.

I've noticed lately that when I put an item on my watch list, it has been common to have some sellers offer me a reduced price, many only like 5% but some significantly lower.

This is a relatively new function to eBay. As a seller, I get notices that "x" number of people have viewed my items and it asks if I would like to send them an offer with my choosing of the percentage off the price. Sometimes I do it, depending on how bad I want to get rid of the item.

I have a note on all my listings that I combine shipping. Just last week I had some guy buy four bottoming taps from me. Instead of waiting for me to invoice him, he just paid for shipping x 4. I refunded the difference just because I am a nice guy. Not a peep from him. No thank you... nothing. Should have kept his money.

I refunded the difference just because I am a nice guy. Not a peep from him. No thank you... nothing. Should have kept his money.
Did you leave a note? He could have thought the refund was automatic. Or may not even know you did it, Paypal is not the best at notifications.

Did you leave a note? He could have thought the refund was automatic. Or may not even know you did it, Paypal is not the best at notifications.
Yes, I did include a note.

This is a relatively new function to eBay. As a seller, I get notices that "x" number of people have viewed my items and it asks if I would like to send them an offer with my choosing of the percentage off the price. Sometimes I do it, depending on how bad I want to get rid of the item.

I have a note on all my listings that I combine shipping. Just last week I had some guy buy four bottoming taps from me. Instead of waiting for me to invoice him, he just paid for shipping x 4. I refunded the difference just because I am a nice guy. Not a peep from him. No thank you... nothing. Should have kept his money.

That explains the offers, and some of the stuff I buy on eBay is pretty esoteric, old firefighting manuals and such so in some cases I may be the only one who has watched the item in several re-listings and they probably just want it gone.

I always look for combined shipping when I am buying multiple items, and am used to using the cart and then asking for an updated price. Twice now with two different sellers I have received a notice from ebay that the seller has declined combined shipping, when it is stated right in their ad that they do it, and then they are refunding my money for the excess shipping without my asking them to.
This is only within the past 6 weeks, never had that happen before. Possible I got two different sellers who have accidently or intentionally done this, and it has not taken me asking them a second time after purchasing. I wonder if refunding excess shipping somehow gives paypal an extra little cut. Always looking for eBay's angle on things they do. It just seems like it is not in the sellers interest to operate this way. eBay of course does not provide a way for me to tell the seller after the fact that their settings prevented me from asking up front for a changed shipping cost.

On a related note why do some sellers offer the “Make an offer” option when they really aren’t interested in accepting offers unless they are within a dollar or so of list price?
Edit: to be clear I make offers that are usually 10-15% off asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always make an offer if the seller gives the option. The percentage I offer is usually a function of the retail price of the same item. If the seller is asking retail or near retail I usually offer 25% to 30% less. About half the time they accept, other times they make a counter offer. Occasionally someone thinks their product is worth the retail price and just plain refuses the offer.

Last year I was looking for some 14" blades for my Racine power hacksaw. There were several listings with prices all over the place. I saw one listing for Starrett blades with a "OBO" option, but the seller was asking about half again the price McMaster and MSC were asking for the same blades. I made an offer of the exact same amount I could buy them from either of the industrial suppliers and got flamed for my efforts. I was told the price I was offering was an insult. I responded with links to both the vendors listings and the prices they were asking. Again I was flamed and accused of trying to rip him off. The blades were withdrawn, but I kept the vendors name and occasionally did a search to see if they would be listed again. About 4 months later they did appear at an even higher asking price, but with no "OBO" option. The listing remained on the active for another 3 months, and was finally withdrawn.

For some reason some vendors think these blades are worth more than their weight in gold. Other vendors treat them as obsolete tooling and sell them at a fraction of their original retail prices. In all I was able to purchase over 60 blades for my saw. They range from 3 tpi to 14tpi, and are all major name brands. About half came from eBay at about $3.00 per unit. The other half came from members of another board. They ranged in price from $1.00 per blade to $2.50 per blade depending on the TPI. The people there were just getting rid of what they saw as obsolete stock they would never use, taking up valuable shelf space.

I have found the best eBay sellers for machine tools and tooling are companies that specialize in buying out businesses that are downsizing, upgrading, or closing. They also tend to buy overstock and obsolete stock from tool vendors as well. They buy at discounted prices, have no emotional connection to the tools or tooling, and sell at a margin that generates them a profit, but is still far below retail.

I have found the best eBay sellers for machine tools and tooling are companies that specialize in buying out businesses that are downsizing, upgrading, or closing. They also tend to buy overstock and obsolete stock from tool vendors as well. They buy at discounted prices, have no emotional connection to the tools or tooling, and sell at a margin that generates them a profit, but is still far below retail.

That would be me ;) Only exception is that I am small time and don't buy out businesses.

Having both bought and sold items on ebay, i have found out that people are mostly bastards with bastard filling.
Ebay itself is not much better.
Don’t get me on the subject of PAYPAL.

Due to Ebay’s fees, to make any money, you need to sell the products at near double the ”fair” price.
The customer is increasingly entitled and make ridiculously low ball offers and get pushed out of shape when the paltry offer is denied.
The buyers rarely actually read the description and ask the stupidest questions that were already answered in the description.
Luckily I don’t depend on ebay for income, It allows that i don’t usually discount an item , i just deny the offer until it sells for the price i have set.
I rarely try to haggle with sellers, knowing what i know now.
If i do place an offer, their offer price was too far out of whack.
Most of the time I avoid unrealistic sellers, who think they are selling gold encrusted diamonds.

for all those who complain about Ebay sellers, try selling on Ebay and report your findings.
I guarantee you, your view would change

Before I purchase anything, be it online or in a brick and mortar store I research the quality and price. In the case of machines and tooling I check with local industrial suppliers, online retailers, and local surplus stores. In most cases the surplus stores are asking in the neighborhood of 50% of new.
The caveats being:
You already know the item is used, and therefore will probably not last as long as a new item under the same working conditions.
There are likely to be cosmetic problems
There will be no support in the form of replacement parts
In almost all cases items are purchased in "as is" condition

It's up to the buyer to determine whether a used tool or tooling will meet their requirements. If it does then they have to also have to decide whether the difference in the asking price is worth taking the chance. Are you willing to pay full retail for a known tool, of known quality, from a known vendor, or would you rather take a chance on a used tool of unknown quality from an unknown vendor for a fraction of the price of a new one?

I have no doubt that eBay is hard to deal with, however what passes as a "fair" price in one area of the country doesn't necessarily pass as the same thing in another area. With the wide variation in availability of machine tools and tooling across the country there are bound to be differences in the interpretation of what constitutes a "fair" price. Here in the Midwest tools and tooling are still somewhat plentiful. As such the prices are somewhat lower than those in areas where they are more scarce. The average asking price for a used Bridgeport style mill is in the $2,500.00 range from most used equipment dealers. A 13" name brand lathe is in the same general price range. On the other hand I see asking prices of over $7,000.00 for for the same equipment from other areas of the country. When I see prices like that I have to ask myself, does the seller have an emotional attachment to the machine, have they done their research as to what the machine is actually worth, are the prices actually that high in the sellers area, or did they just pay to much?

When you're dealing with a sales model that spans the country you have to realize not everyone is willing to pay the same price for the same tool or piece of equipment. What passes as a "fair" price in one area looks to be outrageous and bordering on criminal in another.

Back