Prices on eBay Lately

projectnut

Registered
Registered
Over the past few months I've been researching and purchasing the tooling necessary to complete a few PM Research models I purchased earlier this year. The plan is to acquire everything necessary now, and and commence working on them when the snow flies. To that end I have been purchasing smaller number drills, taps, and dies. I now have some of all the sizes needed, but still go to places like eBay and Craigslist to see if more are available.

I can't believe how high the prices have risen in the last couple months. In early October I purchased packages (10 to 12 per pkg depending on the manufacturer) of 0-80, 1-72, 2-56, 3-48, 4-40, and 5-40 taps. The highest per piece price was $2.60 for the 0-80 taps. These are not cheap Chinese taps, but brands like Morse, WIDA, Butterfield, and Pratt & Whitney. I just did another check on eBay for several of the sizes, and was shocked at the asking prices. Most were in the $10.00 to $12.00 range for a single 0-80 or 1-72 tap. Some asking prices were as high as $43.00 per unit. These weren't place holder prices for out of stock inventory, but rather for off the shelf in stock supplies.

Most vendors are asking the same or higher prices than premium industrial suppliers. The big difference is no guarantee they're new, and no return if not as advertised. I don't mind paying McMaster prices IF I can be assured they are the actual brand advertised, NEW, and can be returned if not as advertised. This is not the case however with the majority of the vendors.

Is it just that it's near Christmas time and vendors are raising their prices, or have things gone somewhat off the rails as far as valuation and demand? Is anyone else experiencing similar price increases on other items?

McMaster would be name brand products no junk.

I agree. I'm wondering why eBay vendors think they can ask the same or higher prices than premium vendors like McMaster. McMaster only carries quality items, and stands behind them should there be problems. The high buck eBay vendors aren't offering the same quality merchandise, or willing to stand behind their product. Who is willing to pay a premium price for unknown quality, and no recourse after the purchase?

Because eBay is so piecemeal and harder and harder to figure out who you’re dealing with it’s hard to ascribe a trend. But it’s not what it used to be for sure. Buyer beware is bigger and more to the front than ever.

Bottom line is they may make noise like no returns but it’s BS. What they fear most is negative feedback and will do anything not to get it. You also have remediation through eBay. And also have protection from PayPal and most credit cards. if it’s not as described, it’s fraud and you are not without recourse. I first ran into this when I bought an audio mixer that this guy described as “like new” and was no return. When I got it there were several channels not working and it had obviously been used in a club setting where it got beer spilled on it. The seller first tried that “as is“ crap on me and I went for remediation and it came out the owner owed the seller $$ and game him the mixer for the debt. Not my problem, and he took it back and refunded me. Since then I’ve trotted out the bad feedback and the seller was not happy but took their scam back. It is a PIA, but so is losing $$. This isn’t all the time, only a couple of times.

Most outfits also have the “make offer” button. Most times it works for me because it feels like it’s all about whatever the traffic will bare. If you want to pay list, they’ll take it, if not they’ll deal with you on the side where it’s not out in public view.

'As is' 'No Returns' is usually false.
eBay normally sides with the buyer.
The Wife was selling the screens off of laptops that I was salvaging.
First one out of the chute the buyer claimed it was cracked and broken. (It wasn't...)
He broke it trying to remove the panel out of the bezel. The clown actual sent pictures that showed the screen fine in the first two pictures, then on the third picture you could see scratch marks from him trying to pry the bezel and the panel was cracked.
Even with the photos eBay sided with him.
Honey took down the rest of the screens she had listed. . .

On a related note why do some sellers offer the “Make an offer” option when they really aren’t interested in accepting offers unless they are within a dollar or so of list price?
Edit: to be clear I make offers that are usually 10-15% off asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a related note why do some sellers offer the “Make an offer” option when they really aren’t interested in accepting offers unless they are within a dollar or so of list price?
Edit: to be clear I make offers that are usually 10-15% off asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a seller and have asked the same question.
The most constructive reason I've come up with is to collect data.
That is, if a seller receives many '50% off' offers, maybe the asking price is too high.
Another common pursuit is to catch an unwise buyer.
I can't help but wonder when I find an item where a four pack is more than twice the cost of a two pack???

Originally eBay was a great place to find to odd and obscure but now it is just a dumping ground of knock offs and junk. Gave it a shove a few years ago.
Pierre

Back