Price Point or Size for Better Quality?

Yes, the coolant pump is 3 phase, 1/8 hp. Its function is optional as I usually cut dry. I might even go with a coarse misting system and Kool Mist. This lathe has so much more capacity than my other one that everything changes.

My best understanding is that if there are multiple motors, they all have to be started at the same time and that is apparently OK. Turning a motor off and on while another is running can damage the VFD. My space is very limited so a rotary converter would be difficult to accommodate.
I think I would consider converting the coolant pump to single phase, 1/8 HP would not be horribly expensive.

I think I would consider converting the coolant pump to single phase, 1/8 HP would not be horribly expensive.
That was my first thought as well. Zero configuration issues with a 1 ph motor.

As for the previous post, I do want to use the existing controls to operate the VFD. I'm going through the manual now to figure out the magic combination. My Automation Direct VFD is clearly marked both inside the VFD and in the manual. The ENC isn't. If I can just get the spindle to switch from the lever at the apron and get the drive power to drop to zero when the foot brake is pressed I think it will be where I want it.

Discussions on the lathe will continue here and I'm opening a separate discussion on the VFD. Several hours with the instruction manual have shown me how to change the default cycles from 50 to 60 and that's about all I have gotten out of it. The terminal blocks that are so clearly marked in the AD VFD and manual are just named with alphanumeric codes on the ENC except for the COM. I might be starting to understand their markings; just need to figure out how to apply the markings to the instruction manual.

Edit: Link to VFD discussion: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/enc-vfd-on-a-lathe.110850/

Last edited:
The toe jack that I ordered Tuesday evening and didn't expect for a week arrived this afternoon. Second day UPS air for a $70 purchase, no extra charge for shipping!

When you get your manual for the lathe, you will have good clear schematics to follow. I have no doubt that you will be able to work out the controls like the brake to operate transparently and as the machine was designed once you start working it out. You've already correctly identified that you can't use the OEM switching and interrupts to the motor, but you will absolutely be able to move them to the control/input side of the VFD for a seamless integration.

Back