Price Point or Size for Better Quality?

David2011

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Is there a price point or size at which Grizzly lathes start getting better? The used market in my area (250 mile radius of Houston) is pitiful for lathes in the 14 inch and under range. The few I have seen in recent months are missing important things like the tailstock and steady rest, electrical panels are off and other red flags. The G9972Z that I am currently using has too many shortcomings for the work I'm doing to be efficient and the cross feed is not true to the dial dimensions. (Yes, I could put a dial indicator on it but my mill is an Index that is dead on and I love its accuracy.) I would love nothing better than to find a good, not worn out 12"-14" gear head lathe or would even entertain a belt driven head with a full quick change gearbox, back gears or otherwise 75 rpm minimum spindle speed, left hand threading, power cross feed in and out and no less than 1-3/8" bore. I would buy a good used Monarch 10EE but the 20" centers is just too small. Is there a Grizzly that approaches the quality of a moderately used American/Taiwanese/European machine in the 12"-14" range? I'm getting too old to spend 5 years searching and don't trust buying over the Internet.

I started out with a small Grizzly lathe, and while I do not regret it I did move on within a few years. Grizzly is still in my mind primarily a woodworking tool company, and while they've expanded into machining, I am not sure they have completely adjusted to the different level of quality control that goes with machining equipment.

From my reading here, I would suggest considering Precision Matthews lathes. They have a good selection of sizes and several Taiwanese models. Certainly the folks here will be happy to recommend spending (more) money on quality. ;)

Last edited:
Some 20+ years ago I visited Grizzly in Bellingham, and there was definitely a step in quality when looking at their larger mills. I wasn't looking for a lathe at the time, because I thought the lathe on my Smithy was 'good enough' (bahahahaha - my mill quickly convinced me that I need to pair it with a better lathe...). I assume the same goes for the lathes, but I don't know at what size / price that might occur. I do know there were several satisfied owners of the G4003 in the old machining club.

GsT

I would say you would have a much better experience buying a Precision Matthews machine over a Grizzly.
The machines are built to a better standard even though they may look the same at first glance.
Also, their support is far better after the sale. You pay a little more but you get more.

I would say you would have a much better experience buying a Precision Matthews machine over a Grizzly.
The machines are built to a better standard even though they may look the same at first glance.
Also, their support is far better after the sale. You pay a little more but you get more.
I’ve looked at PM. The consensus does seem to be that their quality is better. I was hoping to get by for less than $11,000, though. That’s where their 13x40 is with basic add-ons and shipping charges. I would really like to stay around $6000 or so. It’s just for personal use.

I started out with a small Grizzly lathe, and while I do not regret it I did move on within a few years. Grizzly is still in my mind primarily a woodworking tool company, and while they've expanded into machining, I am not sure they have completely adjusted to the different level of quality control that goes with machining equipment.

From my reading here, I would suggest considering Precision Matthews lathes. They have a good selection of sizes and several Taiwanese models. Certainly the folks here will be happy to recommend spending (more) money on quality. ;)
My first lathe was a Jet 10x24. It was a far better machine than my 11x26 Grizzly. It had a full quick change gear box, back gears, a tumbler and power feeds right/left and in/out on the cross slide. It was also made in Taiwan. I would rather have it than the Grizzly that I have right now but I knew when I bought it that the Grizzly was temporary. I only sold it because I moved and couldn’t take everything with me.

I understand that it's a 4 hour drive from Houston to Ft. Worth where HGR's TX warehouse is, but I bet you'd get a lot more machine for your money if you made the trip. Their machines are under power for hands-on to suit your needs. I hear they've got shelves of chucks and accessories to pick through... Rent a trailer there for a one-way haul. Use the trip as an excuse to treat your partner to a night out. Just putting it out there since you aren't getting a warm fuzzy out of your import machine catalog shopping.

Look at Eisen - Taiwanese lathes at a good price. My 1340 was about 6+ thousands before the DRO.

Www.eisenm.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 14x40 lathes tend to be a heavier build than the 13 x40. Watch for a decent used machine at your budget. Patience is a virtue when buying machines. Dave

Back