Price of cast iron?

The question is what kind of cast iron one wants::
a) there is grey cast iron--used in machine tools for stability and absorption of vibrations
b) there is nodular cast iron--used for strength and toughness (engine blocks)
c) there is white cast iron--used in anvils and vises
d) there is some other kind that I can't remember right now.

Look for an ALRO Metals outlet near where you live. Go down and order what you want from them and have them ship it to your outlet on their truck. I do this and I only pay for the metal - no shipping.

Old table saws or radial arm saws often have cast iron tables that should be suitable for your purpose. I got mine free from Craigslist.

John

Closest Alro to me is over an hour away, though it's good to know about.

Chopping up an old tool might work out pretty well if I come across one that has enough meat. I'll keep an eye out, thanks.

If you do want to order from Alro check with your local machine shops. Mine offered to put in my order along with their regular one to save on shipping and pass along their discount.

+1 on buying the project straightedge though. It might cost more than you are looking to spend but you're likely to end up with a useful tool and will have support while you're learning.

John

Speedy Metals is the best bet, clean and sized.

Just stumbled across this:

I just bought a complete cast iron level close to that for about $15 more. I think if you're getting into scraping then buying the Kingway and learning how to do it right will be a bargain in the long run.

John

For $100? I’m not aware of any Kingway for that much. I already have and B&S 36” camelback so for me it would be really handy to have the one I sent the link for doing dovetails and like cross slides. Also I can true it up on my shaper.

Back