Price of cast iron?

Speedy Metals is another place to get small pieces of metal, They will cut down to 1 inch if that is all you want.

Try Alro Steel. *Edit* If there is a Alro Steel outlet in driving distance. probably worth your while. the one near me always has drops on sale.

Last edited:
Check out cast_iron_guy on eBay. He’s got some stuff but as with many on eBay if their price is good the jam ya on shipping or their price is high with free shipping.....weeee!

Well I gave metal super market a call, and despite their website's claims, it seems they don't carry cast iron, save for one warehouse in Wyoming that has a single bar of it in stock. So much for that.
That is odd. When I used to visit the one in Charlotte, NC they kept a bunch of it. Actually had a corner in the shop with just that. Maybe ask the manager if you can go in the back and check their "drop or cut off" shelf. While you are there go thru their scrap bins and get some cut offs dirt cheap.

Yeah, talking to the woman over the phone, I had her check several different sizes, being that I'm not super picky on that. Nothing.

I'll keep in mind the scrap bin. I asked that at another local steel supply place a while ago, picked out a few pieces, and was charged almost as much as new whole pieces. I've pretty much given up asking such things at corporate places, usually doesn't work out very well.

I once went around to a lot of local scrap yards and car junk yards trying to find a chunk of steel to use as an anvil. I don't know about other states, but across new jersey they're all chains and just give you dirty looks. Probably tried about 15 places.

Yup, drives me crazy that the scrapper only gives them like 10c a lb for steel yet most places here won’t hardly give you a break. I have found one place that’s 15c lb but all their drops are huge as they fab ag equipment so it’s not what I do. But I know you would have found something to make an anvil out of. I can’t believe you can’t find anything on CL.

You mean an anvil on CL? People sell anvils or anvil shaped objects (whatever terminology you happen to subscribe to) all the time. Problem is the sellers think they're all worth about three times what they actually are, like $7/lb when the run down chipped and dished out piece of crap they're selling is worth $2/lb. And being in the suburbs, none of my friends happen to have a barn with an anvil laying in the corner LOL.

For the times I actually use my forge I've got a 20lb chunk of mild steel embedded in a block of wood, works well enough for the stuff I do. That whole setup was really more of a passion project than anything, machining is more my jam.

Nope, anvils on CL are silly expensive. Even chunks of railroad rail. I finally got the combo that got me some results on eBay, what about this?

Hm, that's kind of narrow for the things I'm looking to make, but I'll keep that page open. Thanks for that. I just recently ordered some stuff off zoro, they still have normal prices for bayonet filters and safety glasses.

Brake rotors and window sash weights are not reliable. They can eat tools or make welding very difficult. I have a brake rotor that is easy to stick weld. I have another that repels all stick electrodes as well as silicon bronze. It can be brazed with brass, but only with a horrible hissy oxidizing flame to burn out the graphite. They are not really worth the time.

For a straight edge, try to find someone with a junk lathe bed. You can get a lot of cast iron bars out of those. You see them occasionally on craigslist. I have a spare.

Back