Power tool vs machine tool

If it's possible

• Total voters
I made my own from a pulley tap shank. It was a 1/4" wide. Rather than the conventional shape, I used a double ogive profile sharpened to a keen edge. You have to anneal the struck end of HSS by heating to a bright red but it held up to blows with a three lb. hammer.

Nontheless is was difficult work
How does the homemade chisel look like

The part shown would be difficult to make even with machine tools if you want straight, flat, and square sides. Add a flat bottom and it is nearly impossible. The best way would be by sinker EDM. A graphite electrode would gradually burn a square hole to the required depth. Another approach would be by 3D printing with sintered metal. In either case, the cost of the equipment is huge.

Regarding manually making the hole, I have never seen a file with a truly sharp edge. Also, files don't work well in blind holes. Personally, I would modify the design to make the part more machining friendly.
Edm noice but I think it's not practical for me .I think a mill is good enough if I can have one right now

To teach you how important patience and perseverance are. Hated it at the time but many years later glad I did it.
You mean to profile the workpiece? At the same time training your patience and perseverance

An interesting question. Normally EDM requires small precise movements. However, I wonder if you couldn't use a small electrode manually. The process would be somewhat like striking an arc with sick or TIG welding. A TIG tungsten in an insulted holder could be used to peck away at the corners of your hole. A chisel shaped electrode could be used as well to "carve" a flat wall. An interesting experiment I'll have to try.

Maybe some of the forum members who have dabbled with DIY EDM machines could comment?

• Wow
Reactions: Koi
As for the part shown it seems like the best short run process would be to find an appropriate square tube and welding a plug in.

Reactions: Koi
One last question has anybody scrape before how long will it take to scrape to a depth of 1cm and 3 by 3 cm slot.Does it sound ridiculous

One last question has anybody scrape before how long will it take to scrape to a depth of 1cm and 3 by 3 cm slot.Does it sound ridiculous

Yes.

Koi, what are you making? What is it that you need to do?

Koi, what are you making? What is it that you need to do?

I think he's trying to make the most out of a limited budget and limited tool availability, and perhaps even expensive/unreliable power (I know all about this, the shop is not hooked up to my backup generator).

As for the scraping question, scraping is for adjusments in the area of 0.0001" (0.00254 mm, according to units). Better off drilling as many holes as you can i the area you want to remove, then file/chisel out the stuff between the holes. A cold chisel would suffice for this, though it may not be optimal.

Back