Power tool vs machine tool

If it's possible

• Total voters
With all due respect how do i put a square slot in a center of a metal block.You can't possibly file it do you.
How is it done in most home shops today? You cannot use a mill or a lathe to easily do sharp corners, so that leaves a broach, or file. Maybe a shaper, or slotter attachment, but they are not in most home shops. Even with all the tools in my shop, I still do many hours with a file. Its something I can do while chatting with the wife, enjoying a nice sunset.

Well that is possible but what I really meant was putting a slot in a piece of metal in the center and there's no hole on the other side.

Ah, a blind hole. Sorry, I misunderstood the description. That's certainly more challenging alright, I think if I had to do one I might consider cutting a through hole first, then blocking the one side. That might not be practical for your application though.

-frank

When I stared as an apprentice Fitter/ turner/ toolmaker we were given a block of steel 1 1/8th " square, an engineers square, a 1" micrometer and a couple of files We had to make it 1.000" + - 0.002
' on all sides and square. most of us took about 3 shots at it and about two weeks. LAter on we learned how to operate lathes, mills, jig borers, surface grinders, pantographs, etc. we also learned how to use a die grinder, they became one of my favorite tools, I still use one today.
For what purpose.

Whenever this discussion comes up, I think of Roy Underhill, the Woodwright's Shop, and Norm Abram, the New Yankee Workshop. Roy used tools that had been used in the 17th century and earlier while Norm always had the latest and greatest power tools. Both did great work in their own way.

The modern day machinists and engineers trace their origins to blacksmiths, the machinists/engineers of their time. There have been many intricate and exquisite mechanisms made without the benefit of modern machine tools da5ting as far back as the Middle Ages. In those days, to make a lock and key, a blacksmith would first make a key and then the lock to match the key. Essentially using one part as a gage for making a mating part. A useful technique, even now.

What machine tools have done for us is to allow us to efficiently make identical and interchangeable parts because the metrology is built into the machine itself. Hand working a part to match another part can be done but what would take minutes with a machine tool would take jours or days by hand. I recall cutting a keyway in an 1-1/2" shaft by hand, using a cold chisel, before I had a mill. The hand work took the better part of a day to accomplish and the results, although functional, were less than perfect. The mill would have completed the task in a matter of minutes.

I get satisfaction from hand work but the thought of making a complex part with all features matching the design to within a few thousandths by hand sends a cold shiver down my spine.
May I know the type of cold chisel you are using .I'm having problem with mine .Every time when I'm trying to chisel a slot in a piece of steel,it will just make incosistent cut .

Well that is possible but what I really meant was putting a slot in a piece of metal in the center and there's no hole on the other side.
So how would you do that with a lathe/mill/ what ever. I have done similar with small files to get into the bottom corners, but it takes lots of work.

Reactions: Koi
...I'm gonna get a beefier version of the round column mill ...

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the round column mill/drills. They are a really bad design, with any z move of the head losing position in x/y.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back