POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

If I ever get to the point of putting things back together will need to align the head and level the bed on the Clausing.so thought I would get some practice on the Sherline.
I agree that it is a great learning experience, and I do see it as an important set-up proof for the Clausing after your total tear-down. But on a light lathe, how does one separate the effects of deflection from the conditions of alignment? I would think that two collars on centers would tell you that the tool tip tracks the axis, even if it doesn't account for alignment. Maybe watching a test indicator on the end of the work as a cut is made would give you a deflection value to help keep account. I dunno, it's an interesting metrology question that gets more challenging to address as machines get smaller.

Jaime, that is the first shop I ever did see with its own private beach right off the slab! It's one palm tree short of paradise island. I will toast your accomplishment later by sipping rum from a coconut through a turned stainless straw. Lose the shirt, lean back into your adirondack, kick your feet up on the tail of the lathe bed and look out over your sea of toys, admiring what you've achieved.
I did a double take at first because I was wondering why there was snow on the ground in Ocala, then realized what it was!

Spring cleaning today . Dug into the garage and got to a Vidmar , Loaded it up with excess tools . Pulled out about 40 or so R8 chucks etc from another Vidmar . Emptied the back porch of firewood for the year , I have a fire in the wood stove now just to burn it up .Spent seat time on the Bota with the garden . Enjoyed beverages all day as the wife is out of town . Long day . Night !

Added a hole. The owner wanted to add a second hydraulic motor to the top drive of his drilling rig. This is a spare, the one he's using has already been modified. A lot of whittling with the boring head, hole is 5 1/2 dia in 1 1/2 thick plate. Guessing something like 4140, a lot harder than mild steel.
Before.
IMG_2024-03-07_15-13-28.jpeg

After,

IMG_2024-03-08_19-43-20.jpeg
Had to make a modified boring bar to reach out to that dia with my 3 inch head.
IMG_2024-03-08_19-43-31.jpeg
The manufacturer told him it would fit, when he brought the main housing over today it's clear the housing needs a counter bore for the end of the motor shaft. The housing is too heavy for my mill guessing about 1000 pounds after lifting it with the tractor.

Greg

Jaime, that is the first shop I ever did see with its own private beach right off the slab! It's one palm tree short of paradise island. I will toast your accomplishment later by sipping rum from a coconut through a turned stainless straw. Lose the shirt, lean back into your adirondack, kick your feet up on the tail of the lathe bed and look out over your sea of toys, admiring what you've achieved.

Not much a beach without water. I say he adds a lake…….

Back