Possibly Selling My Machines (shop), and Could Use Some Advice

I would think that selling the shop as a whole would be a harder sell than selling machines individually. I suspect that there is a limited audience that is looking for a complete shop, along with the buyer having the burden of coming up with potentially significant financial outlay.

I am in the camp of if you can still use the machines and enjoy them, keep them. If you are no longer able to use them at all, then disposing of them now would be the best option. An auction company would probably be the best way to go. All the ones that I have dealt with have riggers that give prices before the auction even starts.
I do not plan on getting rid of anything that I can use, no matter my age. When I go, it will be her, or my kids issue to deal with. Maybe that sounds cold but I am going to enjoy my "stuff" until they roll me into the grave. I almost lost my life last year at age 54, so I am here to live.
Not a bad frame of mind to have Sir. This is primarily a recon mission to see what I might be able to ask should I really decide to do this.

Nothing is cast in concrete just yet. :)

If you decide to sell might want to post it on Agtalk or other Ag related sites. Farmers, as a whole, do lots of repair work and many are looking for machines.

This is in the wheelhouse of an auctioneer.

I am going to enjoy my machines until I am dead. I told my wife & son to “make one phone call to an auction house” in order to clear out the garage & get a check.

I can't really guess what's going on from the comments-- some sort of health issue? Whatever the reason, I wish you the best.

If you are unable to sell everything at once, I might be interested in purchasing some of the tools/accessories for the 1340GT. I have two aunts-in-law living in Arizona, so I might be able to have one of them pick stuff up. Hopefully it won't come to that, and you can just find a local buyer for everything at once; but if that doesn't work out, drop me a line.

Good luck.

It's almost impossible to sell it as a whole shop. As components, it will sell easily and quickly. But from experience, parting it out via local individual sales on craigslist would be a year's full-time job.

The most money/most work is photographing, describing, posting on eBay, then shipping and dealing with the inevitable scammers. I don't need the grief.

An auction is the easiest on everyone, but will net less than half what selling it oneself would.

Only you can weigh the effort/reward and decide.

jack vines

I think it comes down to the issue that anyone who can appreciate a full machine shop of tools is probably already equipped and more likely space limited, not to mention over budget ;). And someone just entering this as a hobby probably doesn't want to dive in with all that much equipment. So it is rare to find someone who is going to be interested in a full shop.

I bought an entire machine shop 2.5 years ago - I paid 1/2 what I would have given him for one machine 10 years ago. Timing was bad, and I had to move the whole lot. Best to have the machines pre-offered to to relatives or machine shop friends. and auction the rest.

The thing I notice about myself is I'm a lot more interested in buying stuff than in selling it. Time spent listening to potential buyers telling their life stories, how this would be great but it's too expensive, what's your bottom line, something came up can we reschedule...life is just too short with too many interesting things to do than that. If I ever get tired of my shop, then I just want it gone. I would think for most of us old codgers, the value of what's in our shop is a small percentage of our asset base, so maybe it's not too important in the big scheme of things.

I'm for getting rid of it all as easily as possible.

Back